Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine idles, but then stutters, pops, and dies when you rev it up...

so the car starts fine, and the engine idles... but when I rev it up it stalls out... what's the problem? it was just fine this morning but now when I rev it up it just sputters and pops and then stalls...

it was stuttering and popping on me a couple days ago too... I replaced the cap and rotor, and just replaced the fuel filter as well... it was fine last night and this morning after the cap/rotor replacement... *shrug*

so what could be causing this stuttering, popping, stalling problem? guess I'm stuck here at work until I get it fixed... although I do have spark plugs with me I could put in...

EDIT: it won't stay running at idle either... it eventually stalls out... I can't find anything disconnected, so I'm thinking something might be dying... if I can't figure it out are there any volunteers in the PDX area that can help me tonight or tomorrow night? (:

well it was running fine after I changed things last night... and it ran great on the way to work this morning... then I let the car sit for 3.5 hours while I was working and I tried to leave at lunch and that's when the trouble started...

I checked the plug wires to see if they were connected ok... I also checked to see if an obvious vacuum line came undone...

not sure where the MAF connections are but I'll check my haynes manual... ah, of course, it's right there coming out of the air cleaner... is there any way to test it to see if it's good?

I'm sure you thought of this but check your wire order. Did you maybe switch vacum lines around? check your MAF connection, cuz that can sure make'em run like Shnit, or not at all

to me, it sounds like a distributor problem. that or a sensor, maybe water temp. have you checked for trouble codes?

yeah, sounds like it to me also, or at least something in the whole cap/rotor/wires/plugs area... there's just nothing obvious... going to replace the plugs and reconnect all the wires just to be sure...

think ya can limp it down to longview,wa?

I can't even limp it out of its parking space right now... :(

I checked on break and now it doesn't even want to idle... so I'm getting a ride home from a cow-orker and coming back on my bicycle to work on it...

archemitis got it right, it was the temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing... that thing was super corroded... I guess it was losing contact and thinking it was overheating so it turned itself off...

all is good now...

to me, it sounds like a distributor problem. that or a sensor, maybe water temp. have you checked for trouble codes?