Ultimate Subaru Message Board

three simple (?) questions

Hello,

I have three questions that I hope would be easy to answer for you guys:

- what size speakers go in the hatch of an '87 wagon? I have a DL so it never came with any and I'd like to wire a pair back there. Is there space for speakers on the back doors too? What size are they?

- How do I take off the dash? I have a couple of lights that lights up the odometer that I think is dead (can't read the odometer at night)

- How do I know if the catalytic converter is plugged? The check engine light isn't on. I lose speed on a long hill, even if it's a slight hill. Going uphill can be a struggle sometimes, but sometimes it's ok. I'm only getting about 20-24mpg.

Thanks,

Andre S

www.vikingracing.net/andre

Do you have any other ideas as to what it might be? New plugs and wires, new cap and rotor (aftermarket, should I get Subaru ones?).

Thanks,

Andre S

i doubt it's your converter. easy way to tell is to unbolt the converter and let it hang there while you take a ride with your exhaust *open*.

1. There were never factory speakers in the hatch...the factory speakers for wagons were in the rear doors. I ahve used 6 inch speakers there...bu it requires some drilling and bolting to mount the speaker. There is not easy way to install speakers on the older subies simply because no one made anything for them... :banghead: So, its just a trial and error process.

2. There are 4 screws holding the instrument cluster bezel on...and the thing snaps off...and unplug the wires and junk. Oh and the HVAC controls, you will need to pop off the "off" and "defrost" buttons to get those two screws out of it. Then the instrument cluster (ISCL) is held in by 4 screws, IIRC....and its easy to get out. Mind the speedo cable and the harness for it.

3. You will have NO top end power with a clogged cat. The best thing to do is do a basic tune up...cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, run some GOOD FI cleaner thru the system...etc...NGK plugs...and almost any brand is fine for the cap/rotor...wires...its a toss up, but ive used the Beck Arnley wires with no isues. The NAPA silver filter is what Ive used for the Air filter...as for FI cleaner...thats a toss up too. :drunk:

What year is it, auto/manual, fuel system...etc...????

I have 84 hatch the only rear speaker mounts I HAVE ARE ABOUVE THE REAR FENDER WELLS.(5.25)

hERES WHAT i DID . yOU KNOW THE STORAGE COMPARTMENTS IN THE BACK NEXT TO SEAT ON BOTH SIDES I PULLED OFF THE WHOLE PANEL MADE A FRONT PANEL OUT OF MDF TO FIT PERFECTLY WITH THE EDGE OF HOLE . WITH A LITTLE SILICONE AROUND THE EDGES AND FILLING THE HOLE IN THE BACK SIDE THAT YOU RAN THE WIRE THRU AND SOME SPRAY FOAM TO PUT BEHIND THE ENCLOSUR AGAINST THE METAL BODY OF CAR ( THIS KEEPS THE METAL FROM RESINATING). YOU CAN SEAL IT UP AND YOU HAVE A NICE ENCLOSURE FOR A SIX IN SPEAKER ( COAX OR SEPERATES) I HAVE A SET OF MB QUART SEPERATES IT SOUNDS AWSOME. YOU HAVE TO PUT POWER TO THEM BECAUSE OF THE SEALED ENCLOSURE NICE CLEAN TIGHT MID BASS ALSO WORKING ON HIDDEN SUB FLOOR FOR 10 IN SUB . SO YOU CANT SEE IT AND IT WONT TAKE UP ANY ROOM INSIDE HOPE THIS IS CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YA

IF NOT FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME A CALL 206 842 5775 LT

Woops wagon not hatch dis regared above. Ive seen six by nines in the back of the hatch on the wagon It looks like you could do this too My pesonal opinion I would never use a non round speaker ie.(6x9,4x7,etc) Why might you ask? well it has to do with a non round speaker sending a distored signal at any volume. So if you start cranking on it you risk damaging othe compontes. Mainly the amp. but if you just doing it for back ground noise any thing will work. Sorry Into audio just about as much as suby Its good thing they go well together after you seal, and deadin all that thin metal. LOL

its funny...xmas is the moring u open up presents and relax with familiy or what not...and today is the day that ive got the MOST done to the car, evAr. :banana:

Well over here onn the west coast I,m just getting started now that my distraction has left for home I can give my full attention to the cause

not that I,m complaining.

May your christmas be plentyful LT

This is for an '88 DL wagon, SPFI. I'll get new air filter and get a different FI cleaner (I'll try Techron). I've got new plugs, wires and plug/rotor. It seems that I have no low end power, so if a plugged cat causes no top end then that doesn't seem to be it. The other day I was going 65 on the freeway and there's a slight uphill (barely noticeable, but it's .5 mile long). I had to shift down to 4th gear because I was slowing down to 45mph.

Thanks for the help,

Andre S

OK, I'm looking at the 1989 tech manual and I'm a little confused. I'm stuck at step number 2:

- where's the idle switch (I'm supposed to make sure it's ON)

- where's the test mode connector (I'm supposed to connect it)

I've cut and pasted the pages I thought were relevant to a word document; please let me know if I'm missing steps. The file is located at:

http://www.vikingracing.net/andre/subtiming.doc

Thanks,

Andre S