Ultimate Subaru Message Board

e81 carb only idles and other bad stuff

i think its a hitachi carb its a e81 transplant in a 79 brat. its always been a problem, when i first got it i had to keep my foot on the gas when i wasnt moving or it would die. i cleaned the carb adjusted it and it ran alright most the time, every once in a while i had to play with one of the flap deals on top of the carb(second barel on the carb) to either get it started or to get it to run right, i have a piece of metal keeping it open now and its been running alot better that way cept for this morning when i was going to leave my friends house it wouldnt start then did a couple times but only idled around 700 rpm then died when i gave it gas. ive been taking it off roading heavly latly and after this last time its idle speed had gone way down to where it would die after sec if i wasnt giving it a little gas but it still ran smooth, also my rpm gauge and gas gauge would go out then come back. i need to get home any ideas of a easy quick fix? thanks for your help, i did use the search to find similar issues but didnt turn up any good results

spencer

spencer

Sure sounds like the electric choke and anti diesel solenoid are not getting power

They both need + battery voltage when the ignition is in the run position.

use a test light or voltmeter to check this

this line is bothersome though

" also my rpm gauge and gas gauge would go out then come back"

maybe unrelated maybe not - check the fusible link connections and the alternator connections