Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings all...we have a 96 Outback, both driver and passenger seat warmers have quit working. The little green icon comes on when running lights are turned on but the seats won't heat and the little orange indicators on the switches don't come on. I've checked the fuse, changed it - nothing. I think it would be unusual for both to break at the same time.

Is there some kind of relay for those warmers that the switches turn on that is maybe bad?

Thanks for any help!!

SparkG

StLMoUSA

• 2 years later...

Odds are the coils are broken. They are wired in parallel (high) and series (low). My drivers side only has high, and only on the seat bottom.

Find the connectors under the seat and check them for voltage. Odds are there is voltage there, and you need new heaters. This is not an easy thing to tackle.

nipper

I don't know the fuse numbers for the 96 outback, but there are 2 fuses.

One controls the relay coil and lights, The other is supplys the current to the relay contacts and the heating coils themselves. Sounds like this is the fuse you need to locate.

• 7 months later...