Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few Questions... (dash, CV, Timingbelt)

Q1. Can i put a dash with a tach in a car that didnt origionally have one ? (92 dl wagon carbed)

Q2. How easy is it to change CV shafts?

Q3. How easy is it to replace the Timing belts?

And just as a bit of usless information,... i have taken a drivers seat and am in the process of replacing the worn out foam, (i drove 6 hours straight in this seat, and oh i knew about it by the end of 6 hrs)

I will post pics of the reconstruction if wanted:brow:

1. I don't know for sure, and it may take a bunch of wiring changes, but you probably can. Maybe swapping the entire wiring harness with it would make things less complicated?

2. Piece of cake. You need a 36mm socket, a 3/16" punch, and a chisel, as well as the standard hand tools you would need for working on a subaru. Takes me an hour to do it.

3. Also a piece of cake. You need to improvise a tool to turn the cam sprockets so that you can tension the belts properly. This will take a few hours.

Q1. Can i put a dash with a tach in a car that didnt origionally have one ? (92 dl wagon carbed)

Q2. How easy is it to change CV shafts?

Q3. How easy is it to replace the Timing belts?

And just as a bit of usless information,... i have taken a drivers seat and am in the process of replacing the worn out foam, (i drove 6 hours straight in this seat, and oh i knew about it by the end of 6 hrs)

I will post pics of the reconstruction if wanted:brow:

1. use a 3/16"inch punch to knock out the pin on the inner side. disconnect the balljoint either with a separator fork, undoing the pinch bolt, or by dismounting the lower control arm. remove the 36mm axle nut and take off the rotor and caliper, and the caliper bracket. drive the axle out using a 3lb hammer and something to protect the axle threads, i like to but the round end of a ball peene hammer agaist the dimple on the axle shaft.

to put it together, put the inner side on first, then slip the axle shaft thru the knuckle. tap around the knuckle with ahammer to get the axle shafty to poke thru. put the nut on a nd turn it so it draws the axle thru enough to put the rotor on, then do the same till you can get the washers on. make sure the round washer faces the concave side inward.

2. read this http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

3. you can connect a aftermarket tach to the - coil terminal

Yes, please post the pics about the seat reconstruction, I'm very interested :)

Timing belt change isn't a big thing (on EA82 I know), for two weeks I was doing it 2 times daily, on the same engine. :lol:

Now I can almost do it with eyes shut. :D

Just to clarify about the tach, i meant an instrument cluster from a subaru with a tach,... put into mine, where the instrument cluster dosent have a tach.

I will take photos of removing the old foam and the steps of replacing the new foam and seat cover.

I can start as soon as i can find some replacement foam:banghead:

hopefully it wont be too long