Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front strut removal

I was having a real tough time with my air struts up front...

It turned out the key was to unbolt the swaybar...I could lower the wheel assembly enough to get it out that way.

But you probably have coilovers and may need to compress the spring. When I would do that with my 2.5RS I used tie down straps to compress the spring. Came right out.

i've never had to compress the springs to drop a front strut..

at most you'll need to unbolt the control arm as well as the sway bar.

and i would recommend using only a proper spring compressor to compress springs. getting your head pulverized by a rogue spring wouldn't be very much fun. can you say closed coffin funeral?

i've never had to compress the springs to drop a front strut..

at most you'll need to unbolt the control arm as well as the sway bar.

and i would recommend using only a proper spring compressor to compress springs. getting your head pulverized by a rogue spring wouldn't be very much fun. can you say closed coffin funeral?

That is probably true...and I admit, I can be fairly foolish when it comes to DIY tools.

At least with the air struts it was fairly easy to deal with. Unscrew the air line going in up top...have someone compress the strut by hand...then screw the air line back in. That keeps the strut compressed. Then pull it out and unscrew the air line once everything is unubstructed. Piece of cake! Air suspension does have some benifits :D

I have a screwdriver ive modified to use as a wedge with a handle pretty much. It works great for spreading the strut alittle to help removal.

This was taken while installing a lift kit on my 84 Wagon, but I assume its about the same as a '88 RX.

Untitled_23.jpg

Might be easier to remove the strut from the knuckle than destroying your balljoint trying to remove it.

Definatly unbolt the swaybar :)

-Brian