Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Qustion:

I just drove my newly purchased 84-gl10 home. The problem is that when you start it cold and let the choke do it's thing, about 5min into it the car will slowly do a little rev and suddenly massive amounts of WHITE smoke will come out the exhaust. When I drove it home it ran like a little suby champ. My guess is that the choke on the hitachi is malfunctioning and sticking on, the car only has 120K grandma miles on it so I doubt its engine realated. Also, what is the ECR light on the dash trying to tell me?

I think you mean EGR light. It comes on every 60k miles (it's on a timer) to let you know that it's time to clean and inspect the EGR system. On the EA82 models, the you switch a set of connectors under the dash to reset the timer. I assume it's the same on your car, but I don't know what the connectors look like.

Try cleaning the carburetor thoroughly, and verify that the choke moves freely and that it's getting power.

Maybe carb base or intake gaskets?

Racing idle sounds like vacuum leak and white smoke sounds like coolant in the combustion chamber. Perhaps a gasket that's begining to fail and only displays the symptoms after warm up?

Maybe head gaskets too, but unlikely as this would not explain the idle you describe.

Its the ECS light and when its illuminated you can read the codes off the ECU. ECU is right above your knees when sitting in the drivers seat behind the kick panel bolted to the bottom of the steering column. Look for the LED blinking on the side of the ECU and count the long short morse code.

Example:

LONG LONG SHORT is 21

Long SHORT SHORT SHORT SHORT is 14.

Report back with the number and we can tell you whats next.