Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cam seals and helicoil question

Hello again. I recently submitted a thread regarding a cam seal on a 90 Loyale. I got some good advice, but haven't followed through because of some bad weather in the california mountains. Now that's over, so I'm going to get on with it.

The heads seem to be stripped where the cam seal seats should bolt on. One reader recommended helicoil. I have never used these. Is there any advice anyone could give? The engine is still in the car, so I don't have much room to work with. I've been advised that I don't need to drill into the aluminum and can just insert the helicoil and go from there. What I'm concerned about is doing more damage than good...inserting them at an angle or something. Also, if anyone has ever done this, how tight should I torque the seal seats down if this works?

This proceedure is new to me, so any advice would help.

Thanks!

I've done lots of helicoils on EA82s since I always seem to have a problem breaking the bolts holding the intake on. They work great! Just get the size you need from the auto part store, drill the hole to the correct diameter, tap it with the tap supplied in the set, put some locktite on the helicoil and insert, let sit for s few minutes while having a beer, a smoke, or whatever you wanna do to pass the time, and put back together...VOILA! Never had a problem:)