Ultimate Subaru Message Board

leaking scooby

Hi all... some advice, please!

My 90 Loyale sprung an oil leak recently. I took it by a local mechanic and he said, cam seals. After changing the cam seals myself, I'm convinced that they were not the problem. Here's why:

I changed them. I also took down the oil pump and changed the mickey mouse gasket as well as the large o-ring that goes around the shaft that connects into the engine. The one thing I did not change is the seal that is on the outside, because I could not get the bolt in the shaft loose.

I guess that's my next guess as to what the problem is.

Anyway, I put the whole thing back together and started her up. The leak came back. I took off the side timing covers and didn't find any evidence of the cam seals leaking. But I haven't yet dismantled the rest of it to see if I can tell what's leaking.

Any advice?

If not the outer seal on the oil pump, what could it be...?

If you all think it's the outer seal, how do you get the bolt in the shaft loose so that you can change it?

Thanks.

The oil pump shaft seal is a common leaker. The only real solution is a new pump because the shaft gets worn so a new seal won't help. You can get a new OEM pump for ~$130 from 1stsubaruparts.com.

The next thing I would check is the front crankshaft seal. These also commonly leak.

Thanks for the advice. I think tomorrow I will get it apart again and check the crankshaft seal. Is this hard to get at...? My manual doesn't say anything about it. Is it just a matter of pulling off the front crankshaft pulley and then popping out the seal?

Thanks.

The oil pump shaft seal is a common leaker. The only real solution is a new pump because the shaft gets worn so a new seal won't help. You can get a new OEM pump for ~$130 from 1stsubaruparts.com.

The next thing I would check is the front crankshaft seal. These also commonly leak.

i do believe there is an undersize seal for a worn oil pump shaft. clamp the oil pump rotor in a vise just enough to hold it still, cover the rotor with a rag! so you an loosen the nut on the pulley.

anoterh alternative is if the motor were out of the car you could use an impact to loosen the nut if you do it in one quick burst(tighten also) with the timing belts still on