Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DOJ or CVJ problem???

When I make a right hand turn, I get this REAL LOUD clunking noise on the passenger side. It is real loud. I can kind of hear it when I drive straight. I really don't hear it on a left and turn. I replaced the rack and pinion awhile ago, which didn't change any noise issue. Based on what I've read, I think this might be a DOJ or CVJ problem??? Am I correct...should I just grease the heck out of them. I have some tears in each (DOJ/CVB), which I plan on replacing........

go to your local j. y. and find an axle without tears in the boots and grab it. it is a gamble that it is a good one , but it is usually even cheaper than redoing both inner and outer.and when you have that one in you have the other one to rebuild at your convenience so that you have an extra just waiting to be installed.i unno, thats what i did and i lucked out with a good axle.cost me 20 bucks. and now i can rebuild my other one without worry.

• 2 weeks later...
Will the noise go away when brakes are applied? I am getting more of a scraping noise from front left that goes silent when i apply the brakes :confused:
nope....different noise for me. Are all of your boots intact?? Maybe you should try a seperate post...wheel bearings? Got me!