Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sticky choke and overheating

I live in the Pacific Northwest and it gets a wee bit cold at night, but when i heat my 1984 DL wagon up in the morning the automatic choke sticks and if the heater is on, it over heats in less than 10 minutes. but if the heater is off, it will not overheat. this seems backwards to me, please any ideas would help on how to fix this.

Man, that is weird. (I know that's really encouraging, huh?:rolleyes: ).

Clean the choke assembly with carb cleaner and make sure everything moves freely. As to the overheating, does it have any problems other than this? Does it get hot at highway speed or at low speed? Anything like that?

I just bought a 84gl-10 wagon in almost perfect conditon,for 160$, because when you would first start it, the choke would kick in, and work nice and smothe. When the engine would get warm, the indle would start to slowly start reving up, then it would start to shoot a huge cloud of white smoke out the back. Upon further investagation I found that the choke system on the passanger side of the car had a assembly that was not working proporly. Their is a little noched round peice on a rod comeing out of the passanger side of the carb with a small coiled spring and stopper assembly. When the car starts to warm up, the noched peice should slowly kick up and control the idle of the carb. Instead the noched peice was sticking and causeing some crazy emitions stuff to go on. so I "dissangaged" the choke system and now the car works like a champ, minus haveing to manually warm it up,

This could be something you might want to check out?