Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Making a MPFI engine

I was thinking of taking a set of turbo heads and putting them on a non turbo block to make a MPFI non-turbo engine. Are there any known issues with this idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If someone knows a better system let me know. I cannot find a non-turbo MPFI engine anywhere around here. I know they exist, but there aren't any in Virginia

Thanks Guys.

I have a turbo engine and a SPFI engine. I want to take the heads, intake and all necessary parts off the turbo engine and put them on the non-turbo block. I just need to know if the heads and block will match up? Eventually I want to eliminated the turbo on my mud wagon and go with a MPFI setup. I think it will en up being more reliable and the non-turbo engine will have more power in the lower rpm range for off roading.

I have a turbo engine and a SPFI engine. I want to take the heads, intake and all necessary parts off the turbo engine and put them on the non-turbo block. I just need to know if the heads and block will match up? Eventually I want to eliminated the turbo on my mud wagon and go with a MPFI setup. I think it will en up being more reliable and the non-turbo engine will have more power in the lower rpm range for off roading.
The torque and horsepower peaks are at the same RPM for both the ea82 MPFI turbo and the ea82 N/A SPI. Knowing that the peaks are the same and having driven both powerplants I could venture an educated guess that the turbo engine makes more torque and hp than the NA engine at any RPM.

From my 1990 FSM:

SPI max output: 90hp @ 5,200 rpm, 101 ft/lbs @ 2,800 rpm

MPFI max output: 115 @ 5,200 rpm, 134 ft/lbs @ 2,800 rpm

I have good power off the line in my turbo beast, what size tire are you thinking, if your t motor's in good shape and you;re familar with it why swap?

As far as the t heads onto a NA block goes you;ll have to swap over the NA cams into the turbo heads, tturbo cams have a different profile overlap wise to prevent the air being forced into a cylinder that;s not on an intake stroke.

using the turbo cams will work good for low end pulling, but it will lose any scavenging effect, less overlap, because the the turbo motor sdoesnt want boost to get past the valves. this would work for low rpm chuggint like towing, no exhaust...

but maybe you would want to use the spfi cam, so the valve and timing profile will be the same for n/a. you will still want valve overlap for higher rpm, for scavenging, and to work well with the y-pipe. your tranny will appreciate the higher rpm power, 35--/5500