Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine options list throughout the years

Wasn't there a page in this site that has the engine options for the different years of Subarus? I'm interested in the EA81/EA82 list. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere here, it also had the horsepower and torque rating and what vehicles came with it.

I'm looking at a 1986 Turbo wagon, is this MPFI or carb? It's 4wd, does it come with dual range?

Thanks,

Andre S

www.vikingracing.net/andre

86 turbo is MPFI. More than likely no dual range.

Bummer, does the rear end come with 3.9 or 3.7?

I also have an 88 DL wagon, how hard is it to swap the tranny from the DL wagon to the turbo? From what I read all I need is to swap the tranny (bolts on to the motor) and retain the axles from dual range (bolts on to the hub). If the turbo has the 3.9 rear I don't have to swap but if it's 3.7 I need to swap to 3.9.

Anything else that needs to be done? How's the D/R axle for strength against the turbo?

Thanks,

Andre S

the turbo will have a 3;70 rear end in it. SO you'd need to swap the tranny and the rear end. The driveshaft will be the same so no need to swap that. The front axles will need to be swapped because the turbo and 4EATautomatic cars had a 25 spline DOJ whereas the NA d/r, s/r, and 3AT cars had a 23 spline. The axles should be able to handle the power no problem since I have heard of this swap done before

The rear in the turbo car will be 3.70.

The Non turbo D/R is 3.90

The sawp is pretty easy, especially since you have the whole donor car from which to get all the trim and linkage and such.

Yes, you will need to use the D/R axles with the D/R trans (23 spline)

they should hold up just fine.

thanks for the info,

Now one last thing, has there been any updates/upgrades to the turbo engine since 1986? ie different heads, block, etc...

I haven't bought the 1986 turbo wagon yet, and I want to know if it's a good year to have or should I wait for something later like an 88 or 89.

Thanks,

Andre S

thanks for the info,

Now one last thing, has there been any updates/upgrades to the turbo engine since 1986? ie different heads, block, etc...

I haven't bought the 1986 turbo wagon yet, and I want to know if it's a good year to have or should I wait for something later like an 88 or 89.

Thanks,

Andre S

The 86's are great for modding, the MAF is not involved in the fuel cut like 87-on cars on an 86 you disconnect a sol. and then you can raise the boost without fear of fuel cut, the motor remains the same although the heads might be a bit more prone to cracking. I personally love the turbo 86's, I have 2 one lifted w/big tires, one for tearing up the logging roads and ski hills. Both modded out with TWE pipes, IC, high flow air filter, and other go fast bits.

Thanks for the info, I might have to ask you about that later on. Right now, I'm really looking for reliability. I'm tired of either working on the rig or putting up with little annoyances. The 1988 I have right now is almost 100% except that it has a problem on long hills, it'll slow down quite a bit. I've driven similar Subarus and on the same hill, they perform MUCH better.

I'm looking around for another Subaru, hopefully with in a better mechanical condition that I can just drive and not have to worry about fixing anything besides the usual (oil change, brakes, tuneup parts). Do you think the 1986 Turbo wagon would be a reliable vehicle? I'm hoping it gets better mileage than my 1988 (it gets about 22-24mpg), right now a diesel Suburban at 21mpg around town almost looks better than the Subaru.

Thanks,

Andre S