Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, Loud Crunching, R.Rear Wheel

Hey folks...got some loud crunching that just started this morning, like flipping a switch, (audible only at 5 mph or so and wow is it nasty sounding) and coming from the right rear wheel. Doesn't seem to change the noise when I apply the brake. I am thinking it's a wheel bearing, or perhaps the rear axle...which brings on my question....could it be the Rt rear CV joint? Do these have a tendency to go out immediately like that, or are they like the front CV's, which tend to go out gradually? I would like to buy the parts on the way home and get it done tonight so that's why I ask. Thanks folks!

yes they usually go out slowly. I've been driving on bad rear axles for a while. this is the 2nd winter on them. clunks like hell with some weight in the back of my car.

wheel bearings are more of a hollow grinding sound. Your rear diff could have no oil in it. I had water in my rear diff earlier this winter and that made for some interesting sounds.

climb under the car and make sure the pins are still in the axles. one could have worked its way out and the spline shaft could have worn down the DOJ female end on the inner part of the shaft.

Thanks for the reply, Torx. I think it's the bearing set, but I will definitely check the rear diff. So how bad is it to keep driving it on bad wheel bearings, if that's it? S'pose it depends on just how bad it sounds, uh? Or could major damage be done?

yes they usually go out slowly. I've been driving on bad rear axles for a while. this is the 2nd winter on them. clunks like hell with some weight in the back of my car.

wheel bearings are more of a hollow grinding sound. Your rear diff could have no oil in it. I had water in my rear diff earlier this winter and that made for some interesting sounds.

climb under the car and make sure the pins are still in the axles. one could have worked its way out and the spline shaft could have worn down the DOJ female end on the inner part of the shaft.

Before you start replacing parts, I suggest checking the torque setting on the axle nut (36mm). It should be torque to 145ft/lbs. If it is just a little loose it will make that crunching noise. If you drive the car fast the noise will decrease or disappear as the centrifugal force takes the load off the imbalance in the bearing, or making a right turn will relieve the load momentarily on the right wheel and quiet the noise. This will tell you if the nut is loose. And it may or may not feel loose to the touch. Torque it!

This problem happened to me after I had removed my drum to inspect my brake shoes and I failed to torque the nut properly. Use a crow bar wedged in between the lug bolts of the drum to hold the axle still while you torque the nut. Time or rough driving can sometimes loosen this nut as well.

-Mike

Hey folks...got some loud crunching that just started this morning, like flipping a switch, (audible only at 5 mph or so and wow is it nasty sounding) and coming from the right rear wheel. Doesn't seem to change the noise when I apply the brake. I am thinking it's a wheel bearing, or perhaps the rear axle...which brings on my question....could it be the Rt rear CV joint? Do these have a tendency to go out immediately like that, or are they like the front CV's, which tend to go out gradually? I would like to buy the parts on the way home and get it done tonight so that's why I ask. Thanks folks!

Thanks, Mike, will do! :)

Before you start replacing parts, I suggest checking the torque setting on the axle nut (36mm). It should be torque to 145ft/lbs. If it is just a little loose it will make that crunching noise. If you drive the car fast the noise will decrease or disappear as the centrifugal force takes the load off the imbalance in the bearing, or making a right turn will relieve the load momentarily on the right wheel and quiet the noise. This will tell you if the nut is loose. And it may or may not feel loose to the touch. Torque it!

This problem happened to me after I had removed my drum to inspect my brake shoes and I failed to torque the nut properly. Use a crow bar wedged in between the lug bolts of the drum to hold the axle still while you torque the nut. Time or rough driving can sometimes loosen this nut as well.

-Mike

Mike, you were right on the money, it was the axle nut....it had worked itself loose. You da man....:drunk:

if it is the bearing, you can keep driving it for a lil while.. Its just a matter of time before the bearing seizes making you get into an accident because one of your back tires locked up while going 75 mph down the freeway..

If the noise is becomeing more loud as you apply brake preasure, there is a great possibility that you have gone metal to metal on your rear drum. Simply dissasembly and see if your brake shoe has started to eat into your drum.

This would make sense for that sound happening within one driveing trip.