Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake headlights?

Ok,

When I built the buggy I transfered the complete (well almost) wiring harness to the buggy to make things simple.

When I got it running the brake fluid light on the dash came on? I have plenty of brake fluid? Lots more on the garage floor :lol:

This light should not be on?

So like anyother good old fashion Subaru Driver, I just unpluged the connector to the brake fluid resevor.

Many month passed and I was messing around under the hood last Sat. night and I decide to look at the issue again--

I'm thinking maybe someone came in and fixed it while I was off doing other things.

Now when I hook the brake fluid connector up.............My headlights turn on :confused:

I'm thinking I have some sort of grounding issue?

Any Thoughs? Suggestions...Insults....Anything!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--lights work fine with the switch or the "connector"

01 Forester

I have no cure all solutions to provide, but I do have a tidbit that could prove useful.

The headlamps are ground switched units, not positive switched like other cars are. The switch for the brake level warning lamp is positive switched if I remember right. So, the brake level has ground at all times at the connector, and +12v is used to trip the lamp on the dash.

Plugging in the connector is providing the ground signal to the headlights. So I'd look somewhere for some chafed wires or something thats allowing the ground signal across.

HtH..

I'm sure I have some sort of grounding issure although I thought I kept the harness in good shape.:banghead: I guess I missed something.

It would be nice to know if I smashed my brake lines while out playing......:rolleyes:

What if I ran a new wire to the dash and by-pass the old wire? does the old wire go to anything important other than the idiot light?

Thanks,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester