Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First off let me introduce myself. I am a 35 year old gearhead that has been tinkering with muscle cars for about 20 years and motorcycles for 22. I currently work as a mechanic at a Harley dealership. And no, I am not an anti-import vehicle kind of person as I appreciate all cars and motorcycles regardless of origin. After owning Chevy's and Dodge's I have become a big fan of the older Mopars. My current project is a 1977 Dodge Charger Daytona with a big block V-8. But I needed something that would get better gas mileage as I commute 35 miles each way to and from work. And since Dodge doesn't make anything I like that I can afford I knew I would have to look elsewhere. While I was living in Alaska I started checking out AWD Subarus but never went as far as to buy one. But when Subaru started advertising the WRX they really got my interest. So I thought I would look for a Subaru. What I found was a 1998 Legacy Limited GT with 60k miles. After I took it for a test drive I was impressed. The last several days I have been searching the web for sites pertaining to these cars and came across this one. I have spent several hours reading old messages and have learned a lot about the engines and drivetrain. Thanks guys. Looking forward to learning more as I am thinking about putting a turbo set-up on this car. I have added a small picture of it below. Several larger pictures of it can be found at http://dodge-semis.com/subaru/. I just put the web page for it together this evening and will be adding more stuff to it over the winter.

Ruppster

'77 Dodge Charger

'98 Subaru Legacy Limited GT

'02 1200 Harley Sportster

98_Legacy_GT_01s.jpg

Welcome to the board Ruppster and thanks for the intro.

The car looks great and will be an excellent one to start you down the Subaru road. Too bad you didn't have one in Alaska as you would have really appreciated it during the winter. I live in Anchorage and my current model is a '01 LL Bean. It's my third Soob.

Good find and welcome!

I'm starting my collection a little early in my life, being 19 and already owning two Subaru's :bday:

I find it amazing how many people love the old muscle cars, and yet still enjoy Subarus... It's these kind of people that really LOVE cars, regardless of fit and finish... :burnout:

Okay, I finally have time to play on the computer since I have a couple of days off. I was going to post this yesterday but a riding buddy of mine called me up Saturday night and asked me if I wanted to go riding Sunday. Since I haven't been out for a good ride for two months I wasn't about to say no. :-) While it's a lot of fun working at a motorcycle shop it can be a royal pain when you are busting your arse fixing someone elses bike so the owner can go riding while you're stuck in the shop. Anyhow, time for some reponses.

subieman: Thanks!

calebz & applegump: I'm enjoying this car a lot. The down side is I like driving just as much as I like riding my bike. So everytime I get ready to go to work I spend about 10 minutes debating which one to take.

Cougar: I was stationed at Eielson AFB near Fairbanks from April '91 to August '95. While there I had a '77 440 powered Dodge Ramcharger 4X4 that I had brought with me from California. I had tried to get another 4 year tour up there but the Air Force wouldn't do it so I had to leave. If I had gotten the extension I was all set to buy a Subaru AWD for the wife. But since the AF sent us back to Florida there was no need for it. I ended up gettting a medical discharge while at Patrick AFB in '96 and my wife signed up and went active duty in '97. Some of the bases she requested were in Alaska and in the spring of '98 the AF offered her an assignment to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. Her commander thought she was nuts when she jumped on the chance to get back to Alaska. She was stationed there from November of '98 to November of '02 when we moved to Virginia. While in Anchorage I ended up getting an AMC 4 wheel drive wagon as used Subarus were just too much. You might have even seen me around town as I had a few jobs working in malls around Anchorage. I used to work for a company called Sugarloaf taking care of claw machines filled with stuffed animals. That was during my third year up there. During my second year up there I was the repair technician for the video game arcade in the Dimond Mall. Before that I was a security guard at Northway Mall. It was when I was working there that I got a job offer from the newly opened arcade in the mall as an attendent. Not the best job in the world but the pay was the same as the security guard job and I didn't have to worry about the drunks trying to fight with me. But the arcade didn't do so well so the owner shut it down and transferred me to the Dimond Mall location and promoted me to repair tech. My last summer up there was spent working for the Harley dealership on Spenard when they remodeled it and expanded the place. So we probably crossed paths a few times. While I hated having to leave Alaska I like the longer riding season down here. But this October I will really miss the PFD check. :( Are they still talking about an income tax up there?

subyluvr2212: Yeah, I tend to enjoy looking at cars in general reqardless of who made them. Years ago I had a Chevy Monza that came stock with a small block V-8. Looked like a piece of junk but would blow the doors off of Mustangs and IROC Z's. I could care less about paint jobs as I appreciate a well built car on the mechanical level over looks. But I still get a good chuckle out of cars with 5 inch tail pipes and excessively large rear wings. :D Now the big question is do I continue with my plan of building a killer big block for my old Charger or putting the money in to a turbo set up for the Legacy. The need for speed; it's not just a hobby, it's a disease. :brow:

Ruppster

Hi Ruppster,

Sounds like you had some good times up here. Maybe you'll make it back someday. We just may have crossed paths in town sometime.

I work up on the North Slope as a telecom technician. I worked for Arco many years and am now with GCI doing the same job, week on week off schedule.

There is talk of having a tax since the oil revenues are not what they used to be but so far there are none and we are still getting a PFD.

I had quite a number of muscle cars when I was younger.

I'm 53 now and a bit calmer, but my current BMW M roadster could blow away any muscle car I had when I was a kid.

I have a Subie Forester which means that I sometimes corner this phone booth like the gravel road kid I was when I grew up in Maine.

Subies offer a ton of temptation. I have only driven a WRX in New Zealand and I am not sure if they are exactly the same here.

Perhaps a Kiwi or Ozzie could tell us that.

Those things are more fun than a barrel of monkies!!

In my yard here in CA I can only fit my M in the garage, and my Jeep and Subie in the yard or I have no room for visitors.

I plan to sell the Jeep this year as the Subie has replaced it so entirely I almost never drive the Jeep.

After that I am afraid I may fall for the first WRX I see a deal on.