Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flashing Check Engine Light..

In keeping with my "Duh" posts... My check engine light comes on after the car is warmed up. Sometimes it blinks but most of the time it is just on steady.

I've read all the posts I could find on the subject but none seem to apply. I anticipated that I should check the codes and ran smack dab into my ignorance of just how to go about pulling the codes. the ECU's LED is flashing seven times with a pause then seven more times (rather quick flashes).

I can't figure out which connectors to plug in! The white one can go into two different places but the black one doesn't seem to have a match (where do i plug it in?). I have taken a picture of the scene and posted it on a web site. Click the link to view it. It's large 445k (sorry).

http://www25.brinkster.com/pokie34/1990Loyal1.8_2WD.JPG

Oops...sorry, it's a 1990 Loyal 2wd wagon.

In keeping with my "Duh" posts... My check engine light comes on after the car is warmed up. Sometimes it blinks but most of the time it is just on steady.

I've read all the posts I could find on the subject but none seem to apply. I anticipated that I should check the codes and ran smack dab into my ignorance of just how to go about pulling the codes. the ECU's LED is flashing seven times with a pause then seven more times (rather quick flashes).

I can't figure out which connectors to plug in! The white one can go into two different places but the black one doesn't seem to have a match (where do i plug it in?). I have taken a picture of the scene and posted it on a web site. Click the link to view it. It's large 445k (sorry).

http://www25.brinkster.com/pokie34/1990Loyal1.8_2WD.JPG

Ahh, I believe you're looking in the wrong place.

The two connectors should be under the hood right by the brake resevoir/wiper motor. There you should find the Green 'test mode' connectors and the white (or black) connectors. To read the codes, connect the white ones and watch the ECU light.

See also this page: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=44

Pokie, I had the same problem, CEL flashed 6 times, then again and again. I went through All the code information on this site and the subaru 18 site, never did find any 2 connectors under dash or under the hood that would plug into each other on my '87 GL wagon. I used mirror, turned every which way to look, no dice. Hope you have better luck.

Mine now sits in my back yard, next stop is the boneyard.

I will say that thanks to the help I got from this site, I did manage to get the ticking to stop!

Ray Mac

Ok, I actually figured it out already...with much humiliation...

So the code is: 35 Purge Control Solenoid or Circuit

And the check engine light was on because both connectors were connected..DOH!!

Thanks,

Ahh, I believe you're looking in the wrong place.

The two connectors should be under the hood right by the brake resevoir/wiper motor. There you should find the Green 'test mode' connectors and the white (or black) connectors. To read the codes, connect the white ones and watch the ECU light.

Poke,

Very common problem.

Find the black plastic canister in the front pass portion of the under hood area.

Right behind the head light.

Follow the lines into the engine.

One will lead to a solenoid - yep that's it.

You can test it for continuity (~ 35 ohms)

Most go open, this lights the CEL.

Boneyard brother (take your multimeter)

or ask in the market place.

EGR solenoid is the same unit, may have a different connector.

Hope this helps

Thanks Skip.

When the weather clears I'll go back out under the tree and see if my connectors are already connected like happened to Pokie, and do the continuity bit. You may have saved it a trip to the wrecker.

Then if I can just get rid of the rattle in the converter.....

Ray Mac

• 1 month later...

Thanks all you guys....

I too have 90 Loyale 2WD, same check engine light on....

I'm still looking for the obvious bits (like whats the ECU?).....

And where do you read the codes (do you need to get a plug-in reader?

But this is so great....All I have to do is avoid the family and spend the next

three weeks on the computer reading!

I'm on my 3rd Loyale... and it's always been me against the dealers!

Great fun.

First look for the obvious. In my case the wires that you would connect to view the codes were connected. This alone will cause the check engine light to come and even blink off & on occationally. Mine were connected because I didn't know what they were for and logic dictated that if you have wires that seem to connect together, then connect them. WRONG... They're only suppose to be connected if you are reading the codes.

Reading the codes:

(correct me if I'm wrong)

For the 1990 Subaru Loyal - The two connectors are under the hood right by the brake resevoir/wiper motor. There you should find the Green 'test mode' connectors and the white (or black) connectors. To read the codes, connect the white ones and watch the ECU light.

The ECU light: Look under your steering column, you will find a plastic cover that is held on with screws and plastic lock/screw whatchamajiggers. Un-screw the cover and pull it off. Shine your flashlight up inside, you will see a silver? box that is bolted to the underside of your dash. You will see that there is a hole in the end of the box (facing towards you). There will be a blinking light inside the hole.

The light will blink your code then start over and blink it again. I think it may even blink several codes depending on if there is more than one component that has problems. Watch the blinks and you will note that there are two types of blinks. Blinks with a long pause between blinks and blinks with a short pause between blinks. Long blink = 10 short blink = 1. Add them up and that's your code. Three long blinks and three short blinks = 33.

Good luck. Also, search this message board for key words pertaining to your problem. It may take a while but you should be able to find the info you're looking for.

Thanks all you guys....

I too have 90 Loyale 2WD, same check engine light on....

I'm still looking for the obvious bits (like whats the ECU?).....

And where do you read the codes (do you need to get a plug-in reader?

But this is so great....All I have to do is avoid the family and spend the next

three weeks on the computer reading!

I'm on my 3rd Loyale... and it's always been me against the dealers!

Great fun.