Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy 4wd conversion?

Hey guys,

It looks like I might be changing jobs shortly, which would require me to make a 120 or so mile round trip commute each day. I'd like to do this in something other than my truck (Chevy Silverado). I found a pretty nice little Justy for sale locally that nearly fits the bill. It's a '94 and has 88K on it. It is a 5 spd, but it's only front wheel drive. The body is really straight and clean, and the interior is in excellent shape. It runs really well, no oil leaks, etc. You can tell it's been taken care of.... They want $1K for it, but since it's been on the lot for about 6 months now, I think they're wanting to get rid of it, I'm pretty sure I can get it for $800 or so.... I'd like to buy it, and then convert it over to 4 wheel drive. I'm not looking for something to go off-roading in, just something that has 4 wheel drive. We do get a few days of 4wd only road closures each year. So my question is this: how hard would it be to convert it over to 4wd? I know I'd need these things, but I'd like to know what I might be forgetting:

Transmission

drive shaft

rear diff w/ hangers etc.

rear hubs and half shafts

Anything else?

I can get all this stuff from one doner car fro the local pick-n-pull.

Thanks for the input!

Bill

there is a justy-only board around (I don't know the url) that would be able to answer the question better as most of us drive GL/DL/Loyale cars

That said, I am sure it is possible to convert it to 4WD, it is just a matter of how much time and money you are willing to spend. You will also need rear trailing arms and wheel bearing assy's and rear brake assy's b/c the 2wd back end won't have anywhere for the axle to go through.

Make sure you change your timing belt if it is of unknown age.

there is a justy-only board around (I don't know the url) that would be able to answer the question better as most of us drive GL/DL/Loyale cars

That said, I am sure it is possible to convert it to 4WD, it is just a matter of how much time and money you are willing to spend. You will also need rear trailing arms and wheel bearing assy's and rear brake assy's b/c the 2wd back end won't have anywhere for the axle to go through.

Make sure you change your timing belt if it is of unknown age.

This is the link to that board. It would be quite expensive & time consuming to change over. But, that Justy does sound great for that price. I would just keep looking for a factory 4wd & 5 speed, only.

http://subarujusty.proboards20.com/