Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone autocross their EA82?

I know it would be slow, slow, and generally slow, but has anyone run autox in their EA82 powered vehicle? I'm debating selling my RX-7, and still want to autocross stuff when it gets nicer out.

Of course, the reason I'd sell my '7 is to get a turbo RX-7 and mod it to the 350-400 WHP range as a weekend/track car.

-=Russ=-

With some spring Mods you can make an EA-82 car very capable on an AutoX coarse....

I did one in my RX but it was ill equipped for an asphalt track.....

I had loads of Fun freaking everyone out with it though.... :lol::grin::lol:

What sort of spring mods? Is there any place I can go to get new bushings?

- Freed

I run mine all the time. Got R compund tires for it and all.

I run in Street Mod. Some pretty quick cars run locally...a supercharged civc, a 2.5 RS coupe, all with built up engines and full suspension coilovers and so on....

I out run them with my RX. :banana:

Hi All!

I just got an '85 RX, and fully intend to take it to the autoX from time to time; I usually run an MR2 in CSP, but variety is the spice . . . Looks to me to be a HS car, or perhaps FSP if one could stack on enuf worthwhile mods.

Mudrat79 suggests:

>With some spring Mods you can make an EA-82 car very capable on an AutoX course....

I would brave FSP if the RX was lowered an inch or two. Does one simply take the torch to the stock springs, or are more elegant solutions available?

I have a spare set of 215/50/13 Kumho Ecsta V700s; how d'ya suppose they'd fit on the stock alloys? WJM, what are you using?

Any additional pointers on this subject greatly appreciated.

ByeBye! S.

so you want 2 track cars? i dont follow your post. id use the subaru as a everyday ride and FD? or FC? as the racing type car. the i wouldnt bother with a FB. theres a lot bigger aftermarket for the rx7's and the chassis are mutch more developed than the subarus. even the FC has alluminum suspension parts stock.

Hi All!

I just got an '85 RX, and fully intend to take it to the autoX from time to time; I usually run an MR2 in CSP, but variety is the spice . . . Looks to me to be a HS car, or perhaps FSP if one could stack on enuf worthwhile mods.

Mudrat79 suggests:

>With some spring Mods you can make an EA-82 car very capable on an AutoX course....

I would brave FSP if the RX was lowered an inch or two. Does one simply take the torch to the stock springs, or are more elegant solutions available?

I have a spare set of 215/50/13 Kumho Ecsta V700s; how d'ya suppose they'd fit on the stock alloys? WJM, what are you using?

Any additional pointers on this subject greatly appreciated.

ByeBye! S.

DONT TORCH OR CUT THE SPRINGS.

Get these, they are FSP legal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7956214923&category=33582

I just got a set.

the 215's fit just fine on the stock rims.

I did one in my RX but it was ill equipped for an asphalt track.....I had loads of Fun freaking everyone out with it though.... :lol::grin::lol:

:lol: oh man, you should have seen the body roll!!!

and the front tires pitching to about 10-15 degrees possitive camber....

man that was awesome.

still did pretty well for being "mudrat" and not "tarmacrat"

garner

Hi WJM!

You write:

> Get these, they are FSP legal:

Well, they're cheap enough, anyway; these say for Acura, I'm assuming you've checked for seat ID, spring free length, etc? Write back and let us know how they work when you get 'em on.

Why not mod the stock springs? This is typically a cheap and easy way to drop ride height and firm up the spring rate at the same time, plus I have a spare set of struts to play with (makes it even cheaper yet ;-)

Congrats on the excellent finish at that autoX. I did poorly last weekend; running my MR2 on street tires I managed to spin on 2 of my 4 runs (cold concrete + crappy street rubber + aggressive suspension = inevitable), and cowardace hampered my times thereafter. Shoulda taken the time to put the new Kumhos on, but I hate to waste hi-dollar tires on off-season (no points) events. We have another event scheduled in a couple weekends. I'll put the old (and well-used) V700s on the RX and see if I can generate a few laughs from our HS contingent.

D'ya know right offhand if the RX has camber adjusters like the newer Soobies, or do you use "crash bolts"? Are you running with your car in FWD or 4WD?

ByeBye! S.

the stock front struts are no good for autox. THey are just too tall. They ar about 1.5 to 2 inches taller. You can swap in 2wd front struts to get the hieght down and being the camber close to zero....however, that it out of Stock rules...as it only allows a 1 inch difference. You cant touch the springs in Stock class obviously...

The springs will work, I am 100% positive, as I have done this before, and I am actually running similar springs already in the rear.

There are no adjustments to the EA82 subies for camber/castor....none at all. Installing camber/caster plates in place of the stock top mounts gives you adjustability. I have done so.

I have an 87 RX, and from 87 to 98 they had the Full Time 4WD trans standard in them...so its FT4WD at all times.

so you want 2 track cars? i dont follow your post. id use the subaru as a everyday ride and FD? or FC? as the racing type car. the i wouldnt bother with a FB. theres a lot bigger aftermarket for the rx7's and the chassis are mutch more developed than the subarus. even the FC has alluminum suspension parts stock.

More along the lines of "Can I autox the Subaru while I'm working on getting a '7 track-ready?"

It'd be kind of interesting, and certainly a challenge...

-=Russ=-

Yes you can autox it...as long as you just drive it there, run on street tires, and thats it...no $ spending on it to make it go faster...

What if I justify performance mods by saying I need more power to help me merge into highway traffic? :D

-=Russ=-