Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help...LOUD clunking from left front wheel...

Just started this morning...a loud clunking noise from the wheel. I've had a strange buzzing noise since I bought the car a few months ago. CVs are brand new. I'm suspecting a wheel bearing. Clunking goes away under load or at fast highway speeds (50+mph) but clunks like mad when slowing down to stop. How safe is this thing to drive? What damage could be done by driving it this way to the garage? JY wants $75 for a hub so I'd rather not go that way. Also how far back in years was the same hub part used? I'm thinking late 80's, but don't know. Thank you!

Time to jack it up, pull that wheel off, and giver a look :)

Also grab stuff and shake it. See whats loose. You said axles have been changed; start there. Castle nut on tight? Cotter pin in? Axle in tight (no more than a 1-2 MM of slop)? Caliper on tight? Any bolts missing? Don't forget the ball joint under the control arm there; and look beteen the bottom of the knuckle and the control arm also.

Good luck !_!

I would suspect the cv joint myself, hubs normally make a sound at normal travel speeds and kinda get quiet into a turn the start up again, i have had several bad hub bearing and they all acted the same.

Just started this morning...a loud clunking noise from the wheel. I've had a strange buzzing noise since I bought the car a few months ago. CVs are brand new. I'm suspecting a wheel bearing. Clunking goes away under load or at fast highway speeds (50+mph) but clunks like mad when slowing down to stop. How safe is this thing to drive? What damage could be done by driving it this way to the garage? JY wants $75 for a hub so I'd rather not go that way. Also how far back in years was the same hub part used? I'm thinking late 80's, but don't know. Thank you!

Are the lug nuts on tight?

-=Russ=-

Yes first thing I checked...they are tight...found a spindle for $35 at a yard so out woth the old and in with the older (from an 87) and we will see if that fixes the prob. I'll rebuild the other spindle when it gets warmer. I'm gonna try retorquing the nut and see if that helps. I'll post when done. Any other thoughts welcome...

Double check the axle nut, it may seem tight but if it isn't torque to 145 ft/bls it will make that noise. When driving 50+ mph as you described, the centrifugal force will take the uneven load off the bearing thus quieting it. I had the same problem once.

Theres a 75% chance its your wheel bearing. I had the exact same problem with my 88 GL wgn. Thought about doing it myself but didn't have the tools. I paid 100$ to get it done but I got a deal (Les Schwab screwed up my quote and only charged me for one of the bearings (30$ a piece from them, 15$ at schucks)). If you can do it yourself should cost less than 50$. Anyway, when I got it back it ran as smooth as silk. Took them an hour.

-Tarnel