Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 vs. EA82T bottom end

So, I've already got the shortblock assembled for my EA82T that's going into the RX. However, I've had a change of plans for this car and would like to switch to running a carbed shortblock instead (MORE POWER:brow: !). My question is simple: Can I use the EA82T rings and bearings in the EA82 block, since I've already got them, or are there differences in the bottom end that necessitate different bearings and rings?

Thanks for your input.

All Ea81 and EA82 engines use the same rings and main bearings. The rod bearings are different, but they are interchangeable. The turbo rod bearings are wider than non turbo rod bearings.

I think the specs are the same in the FSM, but I would have to check to be sure. - I'll get back to you.

Gut instinct tells me yes.

All Ea81 and EA82 engines use the same rings and main bearings. The rod bearings are different, but they are interchangeable. The turbo rod bearings are wider than non turbo rod bearings.

Interchangable as in can I put the wider turbo bearings on my non-turbo rods and crank without any machining of them?

SWEET! That's less money that I have to waste.

I can't wait to get started on my RX project once I get home. This thing is gonna cook! Just need to do the port work, find an IC, build the header and turbo-back exhaust, and completely redesign the fuel system (shh, that one's a secret).