Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looks like maybee my turbo's gone bad??

You can probably see the smoke. At 1st I thought It was the oil return line, but after I did some stuff with that, the problem persisted. It looks like the oil may be coming from the area around the exhaust side. Maybee somethings not tight or who know's. Is this thing toast? I'm still getting boost. It doesn't sound like its screaming or anything bad, but I don't necessarily know what it would sound like if it was. I got an extra one, but man, what a pain these things are to swap:banghead:

red line where oil is visible

Picture006-2.jpg

-Todd

I'm not a turbo person, but I may be able to offer some insight -

I think it is a seal issue - I think you probably need to replace your oil feed/return lines, and be sure they are sealed well.

Otherwise, the only real way to tell is to pull it off. If it is leaking oil, it is probably going out the exhaust, and therefore you should see smoke and have a hot cat. converter.

what cat converter? Originally I thought it was the clamp on the oil return line and replaced that with a better clamp. That did not fix the problem, so I thought, maybee I didn't put the gasket in the piece located at the same spot. Well, I guess I didn't so I put one in, but still having the problem.

catalytic converter - emissions device that converts nitrous oxides (stuff that is really toxic that forms when Nitrogen is heated up really hot) and hydrocarbons (unburnt oil and gas) into much more benign chemicals - the reaction with hydrocarbons produces heat - too many hydrocarbons - too hot

usually it is the first "thing" in your exhaust system - I think the O2 sensor screws into it on the turbos

yeh he should laugh too, unless you have tough inspections. Having no cat makes your turbo spool faster. Any restriction after the turbo decreases performance and this is why you see really moded turbo's with no or only one muffler and straight pipe for the rest of the exhuast. But its illeagal in Australia and i supose most states in USA.

Okay found this post on Nasioc

"I learned how the pcv/crank vent system and the valve cover breather system should be kept as seperate systems and that the worse case scenario when dealing with excessive crankcase pressure would prevent the oil from draining out of your turbo, causing lots of smoke as the oil would be forced to burn in the turbo."

What do you guys think?

Update: I pulled the turbo out(20 minutes, I'm really proud of that) cleaned and inspected it. There is some oil around the intake side, but prop shafts spin well. I think I was missing one of the washers around the oil banjo line, so I fixed that and torqued everything down properly. ---Still smoking have yet to figure out if its gunk that needs to be burnt off, But I'm guessing NO.

You'd be surprised how long gunk can smoke on the turbo. As far as oil on the intake side, it might be from the PCV system... pretty common problem. If you have an automatic transmission it could be ATF. Not too many sources for external oil leaks on the turbo itself. Any noise from the exhaust in the engine compartment? (As in, could the crossover/upipe have done its usual cracking, and you are seeing ingested oil/smoke coming from the exhaust?)

Regarding the NASIOC post, after having recently examined the drain path for the turbo oil return and the general oil drainback from the head, if there is enough blowby to effect oil drainback then the engine has greater problems than how the PCV system is plumbed.

northwet, I think I might just go to the dealership and get a new pcv valve and clean out anything that might be in those lines. I thought I saw some blue smoke before, but not sure if it's doing now, the entire exhaust system is new

Don't forget new hoses on the PCV system... what a pain.

Entire new exhaust system? You even got new pipes from head to turbo? I assume not dealer...$$$$$