Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 v EA 82

My Brat's redline starts at 5500 and goes solid red at 6000; if I rember correctly, the EA82 wagon that I used to drive redlined at 6000 also, but I could never get it to go that far except in first. I prefer the EA81 primarily since it's more reliable and doesn't require timing belts at all. It's definitely the more reliable engine of the two and more favored by those using it for small homebuilt aircraft.

Does anybody know what the power difference between an 81 and an 82. is Is the power difference accross the R.P.M. range or is one better than the other at high R.P.M. Would appreciate any info.

Jude

The ea81 is tuned for max torque at lower revs than the ea82. If you are looking at using one for aircraft, the ea81 is the way to go i thinkm as it is lighter, and there is a whole range of aftermarket parts designed for aircraft use for the engine. THese include twin spark heads, fuel injection systems, new manifolds etc. THey are also a very good reliable engine in stock form.

Generally Speaking:

EA82 = more power

EA81 = more reliability

Yes, you can mod both engines, but you can drag more power out of the EA82 in stock form than the EA81 - especially if turbocharged

If I was going offroading - I would choose an EA81

If I was racing/rallying - I would choose an EA82

The EA82 can rev up to 6,000 rpms without any problem as it has timing belts. (OHC engines do better at high rpms)

I would not try that in an EA81, reguardless of the spec'd redline because pushrod engines do not do as well at high speed. It's main strength is that it hits its peak torque and hp at a low rpm.