Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dang, looks like I have to deal with the broken key....

The Subie I just got less than a month ago has a broken key in the ignition. I thought I'd be able to take it to the locksmith and he'd be able to jimmy it out of there. The ignition still works, but when the locksmith was working on it, for a while the ignition wasn't turning any more - a few scary moments. Locksmith said he'd have to dissasemble it to get the broken key out - and at $30 an hour with 2-3 hours labor, I think I can deal with the broken key :rolleyes:

If you have the key code your dealer can cut you a new one.

As for your old key, I can only be removed in the off position.

A harpoon shaped tool is what I'd try first. You should be able to make one with an old tape measure and scissors. Cut the thin metal to look like a tiny harpoon. Slide it in next to the key and see if it will catch the key and pull it out. It may take a try or two...

Short of that your undoing plastic to remove the ignition... :eek:

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I figured if a Locksmith with umpteen years experience couldn't get it, I won't even try. I don't want to risk moving the key just enough so the ignition won't work any more!

The Locksmith did cut me a couple keys from the original key-code. A lot of good that does me with half of a key in the ignition though :(

Taking the ignition siwtch apart = very easy.

Old gen subaru = not secure at all

Easy? I'd totally be willing to try it myself if I had good directions on how. The locksmith said something about dropping the steering colum, making a notch in a sheer bolt to get it so you could turn the bolt - I just don't want to get in over my head trying something that I could screw up! I am pretty handy, just a little slower and meticulous when I work because I am very cautious.

How hard is it to just replace all the locks? One of the door locks is busted - you can lock the door, but you can't unlock it with the key (it's twisted sideways). I have access to a parts car with all locks intact....

Karin

The problem you have is very common with the old locks. I just had a locksmith re-do mine with a brand new lock cylinder ($120 but worth it to me not to have to change all the locks). Best bet is to try to get a lock at a local PAP for your car and then have the locksmith re-key it to work with your existing keys. Still pretty pricey and taking a lock out of a car at PAP will tell you whether you want to do it again on your car. Plus if you break it, you haven't disabled your car; you just look for another donor car and be more careful next time. In a pinch, you can remove the ignition switch from the existing lock and use a screwdriver to start the car; not very secure but it'll work for the time being.