Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some ea82t questions (VW swap)

hey guys if anyone can answer these that would be great!

1) does the wastegate control stuff need to be connected or can i just run the wastegate directly into the intake manifold?

2)im not going to be using a heater core, should i remove the thermostat?

3) can i plumb my oil cool in between the turbo oil inlete and the turbo?

4) would anyone recommend synthetic oil over regular with cooling in mind?

thats it for now! ive got all my wiring done, well just about anyways the TPS is still confusing me

hey guys if anyone can answer these that would be great!

3) can i plumb my oil cool in between the turbo oil inlete and the turbo?

thats it for now! ive got all my wiring done, well just about anyways the TPS is still confusing me

this is a bad idea because there really is very little flow in this.

thermostat dosn't control the heater, it controls not only temp but flow, without it the temp will look cold, but the engine will run hot, trust me, its bad news.

Keep it in, the thermostat that is, maybe go with a colder one, but don't remove it.

The thermostat regulates engine temperature. If you remove it, the engine will take longer to reach operating temperature, and, if it is cold outside, might never reach operating temperature. This will increase the amount of fuel that condenses on the cylinder wall, diluting the oil, increasing cylinder/ring wear, contaminating the oil, and increasing emissions. The car will not run as well at less than optimum temp. Thermostats are good things as long as they work properly.

The oil supply to the turbo is metered, so as Erik said this is a bad idea. It would be better to get either an oil cooler adapter (available from various places, including our own "WJM") or a remote filter adapter and appropriate plumbing.

I haven't looked at the wasgate plumbing, so have no good advice here. BUT... SAAB used a knock control system (called APC) that "reduces" (not exactly accurate) the boost when it senses detonation. "oddcomp" has perhaps the best info on this, and it is the way that I plan to go on my EA82Ts.

I personally don't think that there is any significant difference between synthetic and non- regarding cooling issues. I do think that you should go with the very best water cooling system that you can afford/engineer. These engines do not take well to overheating. I am assuming a front mount radiator? The copper tubing from engine to radiator should help alot.

Bus, bug, type2???

Or Rabbit/Golf? :rolleyes:

I am doing an EA82t swap into a VW also, altough mine is a little different to any normal VW. I am building a Nova kitcar with an EA82t in the back. dneufeld as regards to the wiring did you make it yourself or did you modify an existing EA82t harness. (BTW I am looking for a harness if anyone has one thay want to sell.) Good luck dneufeld and keep us informed.

hey neuro, i did my own harness. took awhile but it was the best option. i have all the diagrams (i had to make them myself) i could scan everything for you. did you make your own engine adapter? well anyways let me know how your project is going, i gotta go weld up my new exhaust header :brow:

Thats one thing I dont want to think about at the moment, the exhaust will be fun to make. If you could e-mail me the diagrams that would be grand. The adapter was made by a small engineering company for the previous owner of the car. So what is the EA82 going into? Bug, Bus, Hovercraft? ;)