Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How 'smooth' should an ea81t be?

I know its a hard question to answer, but im just after some comparisons with non turb ea81s and even ea82s. Im asking this because i have never seen or heard another ea81t, so i have no idea what mine should sound like!

Cheers.

i may have mentioned it before, but i think this engine has had a major prob at some stage, maybe a blown head gasket that was left for too long. I think the only thing that was done when it was fixed was a new turbo (still shiney!), and new rings (burns little to no oil).

I dont think the valve seals/giudes were done, as it has lots of blowby; the hydraulic lifters don't seem to work, and under the rocker covers and inside the pcv hoses is full of grimey grity sludge (The pcv hoses were all but blocked up with it). I also noticed it blew a whitish grey cloud when i started it today, just for a few seconds. Never seen that before. The oil pressure light also sometimes takes a good 1-2 seconds to turn off when its started.

Still, it runs well, if a little rough and noisey, stays cool no matter what its doing, gets good mileage, starts first turn every time.

Im sorta tossing and turning over whether to take it out and put the other one (carb) in while i recond the ea81t. Any opinions?

I wouldnt bother going to carb I would just recon the engine and stick it back in. Too much work to re-do exhaust, de-turbo it, etc compared to just rebuilding the engine and sticking it back in. A new PCV valve and clean the hoses out seems in order while youre at it.

i have an '81 carb'd motor sitting in the garage, complete with everything including whole exhaust system (in fact, i still have the whole car), so i reckon i could just shove that in there temporarily while i have the ea81t out. I figure all i'd have to do is power the coil and fuel pump, and hook up a couple of the sensors. leave the rest of the cars wiring tied up out of the way. Am i missing something???

nsane']Tune up?

I have been consistently 'tuning it up' for the last few months now......heres a list in no particular order:

Reconditioned vacuum advance diaphragm

Replaced ignition module

replaced thermostat

re conected a disconnected centrifugal advance spring

replaced spark plugs, ignition leads, coil

Tried to set valves properly, but hla's arnt moving

cleaned lots of connectors

replaced a leaky fuel injector

replaced knock sensor

replaced stator magnet in distributor

thats about all i can remember at the moment, but as you can see, ive been pretty buisy since it was bought a few months ago! It certainly runs better now, just not as good as i think it should.

dude if your going to be pulling a motor down and rebuilding it there is a guy up north of Auckland that seems the shizzle for getting parts at real cheap prices

like a set of moly rings for $125

and rear seals $13 front $5 (NOK brand, same as OEM)

these items i've gotten from him an thats what i payed

Bowden Engine Parts is his trade name

... I also noticed it blew a whitish grey cloud when i started it today, just for a few seconds. Never seen that before...

Does your EA81T still have the automatic transmission? If so, could be ATF due to a bad vacuum modulator diaphram.

... The oil pressure light also sometimes takes a good 1-2 seconds to turn off when its started...

If your oil pump is getting tired this may account for your oil pressure and maybe part of your hydraulic lifters not seeming to work.

Also, could the "lots of blowby" just be because of the PCV system being marginal/plugged?

Does your EA81T still have the automatic transmission?

No, that was the first thing i did when it was bought - put a 4dr in .

I might try a new pcv valve and clean/replace all the hoses before i pull the engine.

Is there a difference between the turbo and non turbo oil pumps? If not, i could try my other one that i know is pretty goo in there.

Those parts are cheap! Thanks, ill try him next time i need anything.

Anyone know about any difference between turbo/non turbo ea81 oil pumps?

Can't say for sure because I am sitting at my desk supposed to be working. But when I was changing the oil filter on my EA81t it appeared that there were extra oil lines attached to the oil pump. I presumed that these were the oil lines to the turbo. So, unless I am wrong, that would be a difference.