Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Oil pump seal: Will this fix my noisy lifter?

Originally posted by asavage

Oh, you're one of "those" (g,d&r!).

But on all the SBCs and 'vairs I've had to work with, I've never adusted the valves with it running. There's simply no need. The idea is to center the hydraulic lifters' plungers in the center of their travel, and you can easily do this with the engine off, by hand rotating the engine to the base circle of the cam lobe, loosen the adjuster to get the least amount of lash discernable, then preload to spec (3/4, 1, 1.5, whatever).

Well, whatever works. Certainly, you can adjust SBC hydraulic lifters with the engine running. It's completely unnecessary, but it's the sort of procedure that's ingrained in the culture, so that's that. I've even seen one repair manual describe how to do it. Sheesh.

Unfortunately, we now live in an age where disinformation is disseminated as fast as information, and the real skill lay in determining which is which.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "g,d&r"?

Pre-load for sbc is .400".......I know that. I have built several of them in the last 15 years and all are still running.................

If I appear to be "ignorant" or "inexperienced", then I am not coming across clearly here.

Misinformed? Maybe, but old habits die hard. I only came here to learn how to keep my car on the road. It's that simple. Actually, I hate working on cars in general (just tired of it) and avoid it at all costs. I don't think we need to be "professional" mechanics or belong to SAE to work on or maintain these cars.

I still think the oiling system on the EA82 is a strange animal and requires clean oil........or else!!..............The curse of the loud lifters will be upon us........:D

Glad to hear your car is running well............

Hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend.

Originally posted by Erik R

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "g,d&r"?

Grinning, Ducking & Running. It's an old Usenet acronym. Sorry, it must not be in common usage anymore.

If I appear to be "ignorant" or "inexperienced", then I am not coming across clearly here.

Ways to skin a cat are many and varied. I did not mean to imply ignorance nor inexperience, and if that is how it was read, I apologize.

I don't think we need to be "professional" mechanics or belong to SAE to work on or maintain these cars.

Well, no, but knowing at least enough to avoid big misteaks (like having to pull the heads off again, because someone didn't realize they are Left & Right and not interchangeable) is certainly valuable. And this is just the place to ask for advice or help.

Bearing in mind that opinions are like armpits, nearly everyone's got a couple.

I still think the oiling system on the EA82 is a strange animal and requires clean oil........or else!!..............The curse of the loud lifters will be upon us........:D

I kind of like the "dribble bar" above the lobes, that only operate if the relief shuttle doesn't stick shut. Lots of low velocity oil in that area -- as in the lifters feed -- so that's naturally where the crap is going to settle or congeal out.

Synthetic lubes rule -- because they are built up ("man-made") from natural gas molecules, and therefore have all the crap removed. Iso-dewaxing/hydrocracking is a very good refining process, but it still doesn't get that last 5% of crap out of the oil.

Hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend.

Holiday? What holiday? I don't work (directly) for a gummit agency, nor a bank. I celebrated Presidents alive and passed-on by trying to stay off Welfare: by working!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 99 Subaru that has develop oil leaks arround the pump and cam shaft seals. It is still under warranty but Subaru refuses to honor it because they question proof of maintence. Would oil changes on a regular basis have prevented problems with the oil pump leaks, lifter knocks, and cam seal leaks. ? Is anyone else having similar problems?. Thanks, Dave. e-mail.. ddesp95802@aol.com

Originally posted by ddesp

Would oil changes on a regular basis have prevented problems with the oil pump leaks, lifter knocks, and cam seal leaks. ? Is anyone else having similar problems?

Lifter problems can definitely be related to stretching the oil change interval. Cam seal leaks? Well . . . maybe, but not usually. Oil pump leak caused by dirty oil? I wouldn't think so.

Admittedly, I am not familiar with your newer engine. But the only item on your list that I think could reasonably be argued to have been caused by lack of timely oil changes, is hydraulic lifter issues.

Under US federal regulations, a car manufacturer cannot require you to get your car serviced at any particular (including their) service facilities, in order to honor their warranty.

That means that YOU can perform all your own maintenance, and still keep the car under warranty. Along with this, YOU have to keep records.

So, simply provide a record of all oil changes and periodic maintenance, exactly as your owner's manual stipulates. Simple. Really, anybody with a new car should take an extra 30 seconds to record this, every time they change the oil or check the filters, etc..... Whatever's in the manual.

If the Subaru dealer doesn't honor your records, demand to speak to the regional representative. If they balk, take 'em to your state's Consumer Complaints department (or whatever it's called in Missouri).

The leaks you describe sound like they should be covered by warranty, but you might get a second opinion on this.

-- Mark

• 1 month later...

I changed oil to 20\50 castrol and then used Power Punch a thick , STP like treatment, but half the cost, drove it for 6200 miles, and no noise! I would try the 20\50 oil! Mine was real noisy , like ready to launch mode noisy! I went over Wolf creek pass in Colorado with the greatest of ease,,though the high altitude did cause a little worry!

FWIW

Nick