Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dizzy wiring

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what each of these wires is for coming off the dizzy of an 87 ea82t motor. (its the crank position sensor wiring) ive got 4 wires a black one a red one a green one and a white one! thanks Ty

I have a manual for the '88 model that shows both the SPFI and MPFI wiring. The colors of the wires match the colors you mention except the green one, mine is black/red, which ties to shield. All wires go to the ECU though the shield also ties to other areas. The drawing does not get detailed enough to show the inside of the disty. You may be able to figure the wiring out using a meter and looking at the voltages.

ok well it doesnt have a vaccuum plug so it must be optical, but i dont have any plugs since this is a transplant project. ive just got the four mystery wires. so if your info is correct then which wires end up going to the ecu?

ok so they all go to the ecu, my ecu pinout shows

crank angle sensor (power)(Red)

crank angle sensor (reference)(white)

crank angle sensor (position)(green)

so if that is correct then is the last dizzy wire (the black one) a ground or does it go to the coil?

ok so they all go to the ecu, my ecu pinout shows

crank angle sensor (power)(Red)

crank angle sensor (reference)(white)

crank angle sensor (position)(green)

so if that is correct then is the last dizzy wire (the black one) a ground or does it go to the coil?

Black goes to ECU pin 8.

allrighty so we have got

black = reference wire

white = position wire

now just green and red to go! :)

Red to pin 7.

No green on my diagram,but,it almost certainly coresponds to Black/Red which goes to pin 10(a shared sensor ground).

allright so green is ground and red is power! sounds good to me i'll have to give it a try! so where does the coil get its signal from? is it pin 37 to the ingition amplifier thingy then the coil?

My diagram doesn`t show the ignition amp.Coil signal comes from pin 37 and it is only reasonable that it would go to the amp first.

Coil+ to pin 19.

so essentially the coil (-) gets hooked up with pin 37 then (theres the amp inbetween though)? also naru could you send me your diagram if possibe? and thanks for all the help!

Scanner is down at the moment,but,there is an 89 FSM here:http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

the crank angle sensor(disty) tells the ecu what the rotation of the engine is, the ecu sends the signal as a pulse for the spark to the ign amplifier on the coil bracket(transistor thingy) and the amplifier is what breaks the magnetic fielsd in the coil inducing the spark