Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Double checked Distributor/Bad Bushings

Can this cause the vacuum advance unit to not function? In the Haynes book, it says to watch the timing mark as you set the tach up to 2500 RPM's and then remove the vacuum Advance line. As you remove it, it is suposed to move the TDC (0) mark closer to the timing pointer. When you replace the vacuum hose it should move away from it. In the book it says that if replacing the vacuum hose produces an abrupt increase in the advance, or none at all the vacuum advance unit is probably defective. Well I tried this and with the hose off or on it didn't make any difference in the timing mark. Didn't move towards nor away with it on or off. Can the bushings being bad in the distributor cause this as well or is the vacuum advance unit bad also? Can I buy the bushings or is this a $190 distributor I will have to buy?

Thanks for any help on these questions. Only been on this board a short time, and have asked many questions already. Thanks for all your help.

Wow, the guy over here in Delta, Co wants $50 for a used one. If you have them and I can't just replace the bushings in this one, I will most likely get one from you. Glad to see others from Colorado here. I checked the Disty and I need the one that has only 1 pickup according to the guy in Delta.

Which engine or distributor or year are you talking about? EA81 or EA82; Hitachi or Nippondenso; it would help in answering your question. Also, the Haynes manual is not the best in the world for troubleshooting techniques. Set the timing to spec with the vac hose off and plugged. With the hose off, see how far the timing advances when reving to 2500. Then reattach the hose and run the engine back up to 2500. There is some mechanical advance and with the vacuum advance there should be more. EA81 vac units are available aftermarket for around $35 new; I've checked maybe 100 vac advance units at the wrecking yard and found only two good ones. If you're really in doubt and can be without the car for a period of time, pull the distributor and send it the Philbin group in Portland for rebuilding. http://www.philbingroup.com/fhhistory.htm

Can this cause the vacuum advance unit to not function? In the Haynes book, it says to watch the timing mark as you set the tach up to 2500 RPM's and then remove the vacuum Advance line. As you remove it, it is suposed to move the TDC (0) mark closer to the timing pointer. When you replace the vacuum hose it should move away from it. In the book it says that if replacing the vacuum hose produces an abrupt increase in the advance, or none at all the vacuum advance unit is probably defective. Well I tried this and with the hose off or on it didn't make any difference in the timing mark. Didn't move towards nor away with it on or off. Can the bushings being bad in the distributor cause this as well or is the vacuum advance unit bad also? Can I buy the bushings or is this a $190 distributor I will have to buy?

Thanks for any help on these questions. Only been on this board a short time, and have asked many questions already. Thanks for all your help.