Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater fuses blowing

Try removing the motor-make sure it hasn't seized up, in your model the blower motor is behind the plastic panel under the glove box, just pull it off gently, the motor should turn freely with no binding, if the motor is fine you are going to need to trace the heater wiring and look for a short or burned wires in the harness-good luck, Hattori...

I unplugged the wire to the heater unit and tried another fuse, it blew right away too. Maybe I'm wrong, but if that wire is disconnected at the blower it must be a short somewhere?? I'm no electrician so please tell me if I'm wrong.

Keck

Sorry, when I said blower, I meant motor.

Can you check out my pics I posted of some dissconected wires?

Thanks so much for all your help. I just got my sub running after 6 months. Its running great now! But now all of a sudden my heater went out.

Thanks...

Ok, cool, now you know the motor is probably not the problem, you're gonna have to trace the wiring to the switch, and check the switch and resistor pack and look for the short, you can run a hot wire direct to the motor in the meantime if you need the heater, crude, but better than nothing.

Was wondering about how to go about running a wire to the motor. Should I go from the fuse box direct to the motor? Or how should I do it?

In testing the wires back to the switch, do you mean from the motor to the switch or fuse box to the switch? Do I use a continuity tester? When it comes to electrical work I'm a total novice! But I'm hurting for money and I need a heater.