Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 6 months later...

Josh,

I just printed out your picture on the ECU location which appears to answer the thread I just posted. About a year ago when I started this engine swap project (I got side-tracked) you answered my question on electrical issues associated with swapping a 90 Legacy engine (with Auto Trans) into a 91 Legacy with a manual transmission. You suggested swapping the MAF, ignitor and ECU from the auto trans engine (90 Legacy) into the 91 where I am retaining the manual transmission. I have completed the engine swap except for the ECU.

Any other suggestions on sensors, etc.?

Refresh my mind on what setup you're doing.

Basically you want to keep the sensors associated with the ECU. The sensors in question are:

MAF Sensor

IAC Valve

Injectors

The wiring harness of the car that's going to receive everything will also play a role in which ECU, Hitachi or JECS you use.

Josh,

I am swapping an engine from a 90 Legacy with AT into a 91 Legacy with MT. I am keeping the MT.

I got the ECU swapped yesterday. I also swapped the intake manifold and injectors, MAF and ignitor from the AT car into the MT car (91 Legacy). Now the car will start and run. Haven't driven it yet. Looks like I need to swap the IAC.

Previously you had mentioned an AT/MT jumper on the ECU. I opened up one the ECUs and didn't see anything that looked like a jumper either inside or on the connectors. I am assuming I need to change the jumper from the AT ECU for a MT. Any idea how I can locate this jumper assuming it exists?

Bob

I'm a little confused.

Which ECU are you using, the Hitachi (MT) or JECS (AT)?

If you swapped the AT ECU in, you really didn't need to do squat except swap MAF sensors.

When I say jumper, it's just a wire going from a certain pin on the ECU connector to ground.

I'm still unsure of which ECU you are using, so I don't want to recommend anything yet.