Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick easy t-stat question...

Couldn't find this posted. '88 dl. ea82. Drive it for about 5 minutes temp gauge goes right to red and them therm opens and it drops and runs a little over 3/4 to the red line. Assume it just has a t-stat that is too hot. I read 180 seems to normal? As i do not know what the last owner put in, but know he had cooling probs., could someone let me know what thew best t-stat would be going into spring/summer in New York?

sounds almost like my rx last night. it was trying to over heat and fill the resivior. then i pulled the tstat out. temp didnt sky rocket and the fluid stayed in the engine and radiator. sticky tstat i guess, i just need to flush the system today and prey that fixes all the issues.

It was strange. I got home last night and squeezed the radiator hose and it was tight like the t-stat wasn't open! The car had plenty of heat though. Does the fan kick on at a certain temp, and could that be dropping the temp w/o the t-stat opening? But then I would get no heat right? I guess I will start with the new t-stat.