Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Specs

I recently swapped an 85 XT MPFI engine into my 88 GL WGN (formally spfi), but I forgot to pull the XT fuel pump. In the manual it says the spfi pump runs at 28-43 psi and the mpfi pump runs at 61-71 psi. Could this be causing my hesitation in acceleration? Once the engine finely revs up the power picks up. And, is there an inexpensive after market pump that would work well for me?

-Mike

if you can find any inline fuel pump that meets the pressure requirements at like napa or schucks or whatever, wire it into a toggle switch or into your existing fuel pump relay, should work just fine, as long as pump is made for Multiport fuel injection, were pressure is high. dont get a fuel pump that goes in the tank, and if you want to, mount fuel pump in engine compartment for easy access, and its farther away from rocks and stuff, just make sure its far enough away from motor to not get hot, the fuel is supposed to cool pump.

~Josh~

Cool! :cool:

If I mount the new pump up in the engine compartment, can I leave the old pump in line or should I pull it?

And of course it started snowing tonight. :banghead: Well, hopefully this weekend is suppose to be warm. Oh well, life in Colorado...

Thanks for the info.

-Mike :)

if you can find any inline fuel pump that meets the pressure requirements at like napa or schucks or whatever, wire it into a toggle switch or into your existing fuel pump relay, should work just fine, as long as pump is made for Multiport fuel injection, were pressure is high. dont get a fuel pump that goes in the tank, and if you want to, mount fuel pump in engine compartment for easy access, and its farther away from rocks and stuff, just make sure its far enough away from motor to not get hot, the fuel is supposed to cool pump.

~Josh~

Mount the pump where the old one was, the high pressure fuel pumps prefer to 'push' the fuel rather than 'pull' it. Thats why the inlet is a couple sizes bigger than the normal fuel line size, and also one of the principle reasons for intank fuel pumps.