Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Problem

I solved my other problem, it was the starter wire, but now when I start the car, and start going forward or turn to the right, I hear a clicking or tapping type sound coming from the front right, around the tire area. It goes away, but only sounds when I turn. Is this a major problem.

Eddie

Sounds like an outer CV joint going out on you. Take it easy on the turns and it will last you a while. Crawl up under there and look at the rubber flexy boot that surrounds the joint. Might have torn a boot and now some bad mojo has got up in there. Not a major deal but should be serviced.

I solved my other problem, it was the starter wire, but now when I start the car, and start going forward or turn to the right, I hear a clicking or tapping type sound coming from the front right, around the tire area. It goes away, but only sounds when I turn. Is this a major problem.

Eddie

Sounds like the CV joint on one of the front axles - the boots on the axle get torn and the CV joints lose their grease and then wear out quickly. The clicking is the worn out CV joint. It doesn't have to be dealt with immediately, but you should have it replaced as soon as you can. A remanufactured axle is about $100 if you want to put it in yourself or have a friend that can do it. I had LesSchwab do my last few and it cost about $175 out the door for them to replace the axle (and they have a 1 year guarantee on them too which my last Soob used twice! :lol: )

• 1 year later...