Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cv axle, any ideas?

Okay so I got the old axle out and back in without any major problems, but here is where the trouble starts. When I got it back in and put together I fired the old gal up for a test run and made it about 2 feet, 3 max. I thought possibly that I did not get the new axle completely over the stub and it may have just slipped off. I took a closer look and it actually sheared the spring pin. I put the old pin back in since that was all I had and this time I made it out of the drive way before it broke, so I am getting closer. Soon I hope to make it all the way around the block. My question is would a 25 spline axle actually go on a 23 spline stub ( or the other way around ), I am thinking I have the wrong axle but I guess I won't know for sure until I get it back off and do some counting. Other than that the pictures submitted on this site concerning axle replacement were the best help I could have possibly found, Thanks.

1988 GL Wagon D/R 4wd 5spd. 250k on the clock, she's not pretty but hey.

sounds like the axle tou have is too big, a 25 spline on a 23 sline tranny.

what tranny do you have? 5sods have 23 splines, and turbo 5spds have 25 splines. all automatics have 23 splines

the roll pin on the inside does not take any toque load. the splines take the torque. the pin is htere to keep the axle from sliding off the splines

if the axle fit loosely over the spline it is indeed the wrong one

if you want the fattest axles or if you converted a turbo 5spd to a dual range non turbo 5spd, you can order or look for axles that go to a 3spd automatic turbo, as they have the same diameter of the shaft and doj as a turbo axle, and the spline count is correct for any 23 spline tranny

otherwise, you can use any 3spd automatic turbo or non turbo axle, 4wd, 2wd, and non turbo 5spd 2wd and 5wd axles

Thanks, the more I thought about it the more I was thinking that it may be the wrong axle for mine ( I do have the 5spd. D/R non-turbo ). When I went to the parts store I specified the 23 spline after reading about the difference here on the board, but he still may have grabbed the wrong box off the shelf. It does fit loosely on the stub so that is what got me thinking. Thanks, for the help.

Go back to the parts store; they owe you the correct axle as well as a new roll pin. Count the splines this time to make sure. It's possible the rebuilder mis-labled the box or used a turbo DOJ by accident. Good luck.

Thanks, the more I thought about it the more I was thinking that it may be the wrong axle for mine ( I do have the 5spd. D/R non-turbo ). When I went to the parts store I specified the 23 spline after reading about the difference here on the board, but he still may have grabbed the wrong box off the shelf. It does fit loosely on the stub so that is what got me thinking. Thanks, for the help.