Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise in Neutral from Clutch or GearBox ?

EA81, bit of a rumble when clutch pedal released, quite noticable in the cab and while driving. Depressed pedal makes the noise go away.

Have searched here and numerous motor mechanical sites and have been told 50/50 GB/Clutch. and then I read that if the noise is there in neutral with clutch depressed, it's the clutch, and if the noise is there with the clutch pedal released, it's the trany.

What do you guy's/gal's think ? I'm sure someone here has experienced this.

I had the same problem with my Legacy, I waited until I needed a new clutch to do anything about it. When I had the pieces out, the release bearing and pilot bearing felt fine but when I turned the input shaft bearing I could feel a bad bearing.

That would be the tiny one that fits in the center of the flywheel.

No, that's the pilot bearing. The input shaft bearing is in the front of the transmission and supports the splined shaft that the clutch sits on. I don't know of any other names for it, but maybe there are.

No, that's the pilot bearing. The input shaft bearing is in the front of the transmission and supports the splined shaft that the clutch sits on. I don't know of any other names for it, but maybe there are.

That was a dumb mistake on my part, I know better. Sorry. I need to pay closer attention.

Pyro

So then you guy's are telling me that it's a tranny bearing ?

I am doing a single range to dual range swap,as soon as the rain stop's.

So this should fix the noise ?

So then you guy's are telling me that it's a tranny bearing ?

I am doing a single range to dual range swap,as soon as the rain stop's.

So this should fix the noise ?

I think they are telling you it MIGHT be.

But sure, when you do the swap, I expect youll be doing a new throw out bearing and piot bearing. Sure is a good time to that output shaft bearing too.

I think your bound to loose the rumble.

Good time to do the Rear main too?

Pyro