Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't get off belt driven fan, must remove A/C condenser...Will I die?

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time getting the belt driven fan on my 84 turbo wagon off...It's just stuck and I can't get to it with the A/C condenser in the way (yes, the whole front end is torn apart).

So, my question is this...My A/C no longer blew cold air before it was wrecked, obviously outta freon, right? So...I want to remove the A/C condenser but am scared of shooting posion vapors all over (if there's even any left in the lines) but, don't know the best way to do it.

Should I just push it out of the garage and unscrew the lines that go into the condenser and run? Or will it blow my hands off as soon as the seal is broken when I'm unthreading it???

Thanks,

Daniel

I did it last week and I am still here, but be very careful wait for a couple more replies as well! I don't want you to get hurt!

Rich

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time getting the belt driven fan on my 84 turbo wagon off...It's just stuck and I can't get to it with the A/C condenser in the way (yes, the whole front end is torn apart).

So, my question is this...My A/C no longer blew cold air before it was wrecked, obviously outta freon, right? So...I want to remove the A/C condenser but am scared of shooting posion vapors all over (if there's even any left in the lines) but, don't know the best way to do it.

Should I just push it out of the garage and unscrew the lines that go into the condenser and run? Or will it blow my hands off as soon as the seal is broken when I'm unthreading it???

Thanks,

Daniel

Hey guys,

I've had to reach in there and grab the bolts with vice-grips before to break them loose.

I think you should be able to just unbolt the compressor and move it out of the way. If you do decide to disconnect the lines, I'd wear glove(s), and use a wrench of some sort to crack it open.

Looking at your AC air pump there are two main lines on top. You will see a cap just like the one on your tire's valve stem. Unscrew it and you'll see a shreder valve again just like the one in your valve stem. Using a long screw driver simply touch that needle sticking out for a split second. Either it will let out a short HISS and tell you the system is still under pressure or it will do nothing.

It's not under enough pressure to really harm you due to pressure release. The chemicals inside are hazardouse however. If the system is dead then you can just start dissasembeling it as you see fit. If it's still under pressure you would be wise to not discharge it yourself into the atmosphere with your screw driver; but rather have it professionaly discharged.

Once the system is properly purged you can start tearing it apart. There's a lot of associated stuff attached to the air pump and condenser.