Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy this brat......

Out driving around with my son today, we saw something I knew was there, but had totally forgotten about. I don't have any pics of it yet, and I don't even know if the guy would sell it......but since it's been sitting there in the same spot for at least 3 years....along with all the other "junk" in his yard, I'm pretty sure I could pick it up for next to nothing. So what am I talking about? An older (I think...) GEN I brat. It's red and has the hightop shell on it. The body, from what I can see, is in very good shape, with no dents or obvious rust. It either has a sliding rear window or the rear glass is gone, because the front windshield is broken from a piece of sewer pipe hitting it from the rear. It has 4 headlights and I think it has a push bar on it.

Now if I was to pick this up, what would you guys recommend I repair or replace on it? I don't think I'd want to make it a off-roader, just something reliable to drive.

Thanks,

NV

It depends on how long its been sitting. Maybe the gas tank? The cv's will probably need to be replaced, but maybe not. also maybe a windshield.:grin: If you can pick it up cheap, go for it.

HA! I knew you would chime in on this..... hehehhe

I have to say.....I know it's been sitting in the same spot for at least 3 years.....but looking at the weeds and crap piled up, I would guess more like 5 years..... I should be closing on our house on Friday so I have to wait to pick up any new "projects" until I sign the frickin huge check :eek: ....but after that.... and if I don't pick it up, I'm sure someone here might be interested in it!

I hope for you sake that the guy isn't like some I have dealt with. I am also an antique car nut, I saw an Auburn Supercharger 4 door (the rear doors open from the front, the four doors are the rare ones) sitting in a guys yard, I had seen this car sitting in the same place when I was in high school, and it had been there many year before I saw it. Well when I finally figure I was in a financial position to restore such a car, I went and talked with the guy (this was about 35 years ago). When I asked him if he would sell the car, he said, emphatically, "NO!!!", I asked him what he was planning to do with the car, and his comment was, "Nothing." So there sat this beautiful example of a very rare car, with weeds grow all around, in, and through the car, and he was just going to let it rust away. I couldn't believe it. I drove past the place 5 years later and the car was still there. I was going to watch the obituaries for his death so that I could see if his family would sell the car, but I lost interest over time and moved on with my life, I don't know what ever happened to that car.

When I asked him if he would sell the car, he said, emphatically, "NO!!!", I asked him what he was planning to do with the car, and his comment was, "Nothing."

I hope not as well. I've run into a few people like that too! Don't want to sell what-ever-it-is, but they're not going to do anythying with it either:banghead: