Ultimate Subaru Message Board

t belts

finally got around to taking off the t belt covers on the engine i bought with 96000 miles on ea82. I noticed that there where chalk marks on the cam gears. Did they normaly at the factory or did maybe some on just replace them? The car belong to an old man that used it for his farm but it set for like two years. all timing marks line up. Thanks for any feed back.

finally got around to taking off the t belt covers on the engine i bought with 96000 miles on ea82. I noticed that there where chalk marks on the cam gears. Did they normaly at the factory or did maybe some on just replace them? The car belong to an old man that used it for his farm but it set for like two years. all timing marks line up. Thanks for any feed back.

I don't think they came with marks from the factory - the timing alignment marks are a single small hole on each camshaft drive gear - they (the factory marks) are supposed to be 180-degrees off from each other - someone probably marked with chalk where the pulleys were and used that during a T-belt change - no problem there, won't hurt anything

mine has the same it is two little white blobs of paint one on the housing and one on the cam pulley so you know where they line up and yes they do this from factory i think it more of a warrenty thing so if your car crapped itself when it was new they could tell it you have altered it as well you get a lot of bolts like it.

I didn't know other people did this, but I put little whiteout marks on my belts and gears when I changed the belts. I had read all the instructions about lining up marks, turning the engine over, etc., but I thought you should be able to just mark all the gears and belts, transfer the belt marks to the new belts, line em up and put em on. It worked just fine.