Ultimate Subaru Message Board

UPDATE: Emissions Problems in the BRAT! Oh no!

So I decided to stop being lazy about getting this thing registered and licensed.. We took it to emissions today. ... It doesn't look good.

(1984 Subaru GL BRAT ea81 Carbed all stock)

Equipment Inspection Results:

Air System : Pass

Gas Cap Test: Pass

Catalytic Converter: Pass

Emissions Inspection Results:

Hydrocarbons in PPM - Loaded: 232 / Standard 220 <--- FAIL

Hydrocarbons in PPM - IDLE: 1341 / Standard 220 <--- FAIL!!!!!!

Carbon Monoxide in % - Loaded: 0.06 / Standard 1.20 <--- PASS (phew)

Carbon Monoxide in % - IDLE: 0.14 / Standard 1.20 <--- PASS! (yay!)

Based on these results the emissions station informed me that have a MISFIRE on one of my cylinders! I now have 60 days where I can return for ONE free emissions test. So I brougth it home and I checked the timing and it was way off (like 14 or something absurd).. I got it as close to 8 degrees BTDC as I could and it seems to be running a lot better already. I plan to replace the dist. cap and rotor. Things I have done recently include the following:

New Plugs

New Plug Wires

New Radiator + hoses

New Air Filter, PCV Filter

New PCV Valve.

Oil Change w/ new filter / drain plug.

New Oil Pan Gasket

New Valve Cover Gaskets

Added Manual Transaxle Fluid

New Water Pump belt / Alternator belt.

There maybe something else I did but I can't think of it right now.. Anyway here's my question: Can anyone think of anything else I should do to get my emissions working as good as possible? I'm really hopin that the timing issue was the problem.. but I want to do as much as possible so I dont have to end up paying another emissions fee. Oh yah.. I'm going to unplug my drivers side ASV as well to see if it's any quieter with the timing correct now. Thanks for reading my long rump roast emissions post and thanks in advance for any input you might have!!

-Eli-

I wouldnt be surprised if you have solved it already with the timing. Before testing, get it REALLY hot, so the heat is cranking so hot you cant stand it when it comes out and make sure your headlights and other accessories are off.

What kind of MPG are you getting so far?

Did you plug off the air suction valves in the past with a quarter, etc? Have seen that posted lately.

I don't know my MPG.. I haven't driven it that much.. Yeah I put a quarter in the drivers side hose just on the ASV side of the little black box.. it was really noisy before i did that.. but im thinking that it might actually have been the timing thing making all the noise! I'm going to take the quarter out tonight and see how it acts. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

New plug wires, again.. (old ones were POS and BROKE!!!) ... New disty cap and rotor.. Good timing light 8 degrees +/- 2 degrees BTDC.. Idle at 900 +/- 100 rpms. Drove the brat ALL day w/ 91 Octance in her.. PASSED EMISSIONS!!!!

Hydro carbons at load = 85 ... at Idle = 180 ... Standard = 220.. WOOT!!

Carbon Monoxide at load = 0.4 and idle = 0.07 (WHOA!) .. Standard = 1.2! Yes!!!

I'm soo happy the brat is going to be street legal!!!!

• 2 months later...

Well seems like my carb needs rebuilt, had it checked and i'm not getting enough fuel in there, its running lean either way I turn the mixture screw, doesnt change much. Very weird. Not sure if he's right or wat but he showed me on his emissions computer, he turned the screw from all the way left to all the way right and the HC's were really high either way. :(

And i tired couple bottles of HEET and denatured alcohol and that "Guaranteed to Pass" crap and Seafoam and nothing helped, still failed emissions.