Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's the scoop on a/c

would someone please explain how a guy deals with the a/c system?

I just got a '92 loyale that will need a new a/c compressor someday. As far as I understand it, you can't recharge systems designed for the old refrigerant so you have to upgrade them. Is a/c related stuff best left to professionals are could I do this myself? I've seen the DIY recharge kits at the parts store but never noticed anything for capturing the old stuff (ya know, the ozone layer and all that) Are those available too?

I've seen the DIY recharge kits at the parts store but never noticed anything for capturing the old stuff (ya know, the ozone layer and all that) Are those available too?

you have to drive it to an A/C shop to have it done, however the rest you can do yourself - I did it, and it worked for a while, but I had a panasonic compressor out of the JY (those are the worst - Hitachis are the best) - and it blew a seal due to age after about a week in service, I am going to redo it sometime in the next week, with a Hitachi compressor - I think yours already has one

Try car-parts.com it has junk yard stuff...

gotcha thanks....

got any tips on places to get a new compressor for a good price? online or otherwise?

I went without a/c last summer...call me what you will but I don't think I can do it again!:dead:

no leaking, just makes a loud whirring sound which I take to mean it's on its way out.

I should probably ask though...the sound goes away when I turn the a/c on; Sometimes I turn it on just to shut it up. Does this mean anything to anyone as far as maybe just replacing a component of the compressor instead of the whole thing?

is it leaking or something? if not id just top it off with R12 theres some compatible stuff if your out called Freeze 12 that you can mix that wont harm anything.

no leaking, just makes a loud whirring sound which I take to mean it's on its way out.

I should probably ask though...the sound goes away when I turn the a/c on; Sometimes I turn it on just to shut it up. Does this mean anything to anyone as far as maybe just replacing a component of the compressor instead of the whole thing?

take off the belt and turn it by hand. if it makes the noise you can simply change out the ac clutch (a lot smaller job than the whole compressor)