Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help!! need ea81 head today in portland.

thanks for trying, my daily driver has a cracks between the valves! I need the old fart to be awake before monday. will come and pay cash! no wrecking yards open on sunday. im located in north portland...will pay if you can drop off.

thanks, ken @ 503.735.1583

poor old brat.

Hate to say it, but they all have cracks between the valves. If you pressure checked it they should check fine. They are OEM cracks.

Mine has had cracks forever, as long as its not all the way through(which happens very rarely) it is fine.

What caused you to take the heads off?

Alex

for reference the cracks between all of my valves you could fit a fingernail in. I would suspect you either blew out a freeze plug, or just blew the headgaskets, which is pretty normal to do.

I would trust the heads with the cracks. If you still have doubts, take some pictures and post them.

Alex

yeah you had a blown head gasket the milkshake was not related to the cracks, pull any good head or the one off the other side of the motor and they will be there

if they make you uncomfprtable smoosh the crack down with a drift. its all metal and no water passage, the very worst that can happen is a valve seat will fall out in severe cases

for example, my buddy had this rx ea82 gen II turbo heads, pulled them off cause of a rod knock. cracks between the valves. cracks all the way down to the valve guides. port and polish and carb compression block and road trips and 10k mile later no problems