Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my clutch problem continues

Ok... I'l start from the top.

When I got my Brumby, the guy said he replaced the clutch. He also said he had to use the old thrust bearing because the one that came with the kit was a different one that didn't fit.

I replaced the thrust bearing. First one I got from the shop was a bigger one, that had the bearing inside a casing. The guy at the auto shop said it might be the wrong one, if so just bring it back. So it was the wrong one and it wouldn't fit to the clutch leaver. I went back and got the "right" one, smaller and just a bearing that I pressed onto the cast iron/alloy block that sildes along the shaft to push the clutch plate (friction plate?) It all went back together and worked for about a month. Then the thrust bearing started to make noise. Then finally the other day the clutch just died. When I would go to let out the clutch after putting it in gear (or just having it in nutral) it would make a horrible ticking, snaping, grinding noise. So out came the engine again...

I asked on the USMB forum about this http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36239

So. I figured out I needed a 225mm clutch. My local shop said there is only two, and they have them both in stock. My brother went to get one yesterday. He said the guy at the shop had to get a different thrust bearing for the kit as it had a different one in it that wouldn't fit my "cast iron/alloy casing thingy". I looked at the one he brought back. It is identical to the one I have already, only not worn. It fits all ok, but will it o the same thing mine has? The old one has fairly badly worn "fingers" and they are also worn un evenly.

So... I have the only 225mm clutch that will fit the EA81. I have a replacement that is identical. I have been told it is the wrong clutch. I have been told it is the only clutch. And I'm just totally confused and want to just do the EJ conversion ASAP now... Not enough money right now.

Heres what I've been thinking. Could I have the wrong thrust bearing "cast iron holder thingy" and be also running the wrong bearing? My dad also said maybe I have the wrong gearbox in the car. But I am sure its for that car as it is the 4spd D/R 4WD box. It also has 21 spline shaft to fit the older clutch's. Any help?? I really am getting very confused. Maybe I have a different problem. One that is damaging the clutch but has nothing to do with the clutch. WHAT CLUTCH DO I NEED??? Photo's anyone? this is just getting too much!

Oh, and This is for a 1989 Subaru Brumby EA81.

http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/subaru/clutch_problem1.jpg

http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/subaru/clutch_problem2.jpg

http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/subaru/clutch_problem3.jpg

http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/subaru/clutch_problem4.jpg

There is some pictures of the clutch that I pulled out of the car. The one that was making noise and also not moving the car, if you get my gist.

I'm sure you are, but are you putting to friction disk in right? The side stamped Flywheel is towards, well, the flywheel?

But it sounds like your throwout bearing(release bearing) was riding the pressure plate(thing with fingers) all the time, even with the clutch engaged to the flywheel. Did you adjust the cable to the new clutch? My friend didn'tdo that before.

I hope my babbling helps.

[HTi]Johnson

I did adjust the cable when I put the new thrust bearing in about 2 months ago. I haven't put the new clutch in yet as I wont be able ot swap it with the "right" one, if there is such a thing, if it is used.

Yeah, the thrust "throwout" bearing did seem like it has been riding the clutch all the time. It was hard as the clutch seemed like it was slipping with high loads (500kg) yet it I couldn't adjust it to not slip as it wouldn't clear and would grind gears.

Before the clutch "blow up!" broke it would make a weird noise every so offen, when I put my foot on the clutch it would make a loud ticking noise. sounded like some thing was broken and out of place. But it still worked. Then it broken, no drive what so ever.

I'm not sure if the old clutch was put in right. I just assumed it had been done right, as there should onlt be one way it can fit. But as I've learnt with my CV joints there is more then one way to do anything with a subaru, normal one right and one wrong...

Where did you buy it from?

Sometimes you will find components for older cars will be listed incorrectly on the computer. Go back there, and demand to have a look at the book and to see what clutch it lists for your car.

Perhaps a visit your Subaru dealer and get the real thing?

Perhaps a visit your Subaru dealer and get the real thing?

What, and pay $1000??? No seriously, I know a guy who was quoted $215AUD for a indicator switch....

I am not sure if this is the right clutch or not. Can some one look at the pictures and tell me. The old one in the pictures is identical to the new one I have for it now.