Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upholstry cleaning/ repair

Because I developed a few holes in my front seats, I decided to find some new fabric. This turned out to be quite difficult due to it being so obscure. Anyway, I finally found it (in a wagon-- i had to buy the whole thing just for the seats!) and I began the cleanup today.

I started out by cleaning it with 409, graduated to liquid laundry soap and moved on to shout. It got all of the grime and most of the stains out.

Now onto the tricky part- where would you guys recommend I get the upholstry work done? Specifically in the Auburn/ South King county/ North Pierce county.

409 and shout worked huh? When I got my car, the seats were just gross dirty and mildew stained. I ended up using color-safe bleach and then used my ''little green clean machine'' with HOT water and a little simple green to finalize the clean. Worked pretty well - not all the stains are out. I ended up making seat covers for the sitting part of the front seats. I detest store-bought seat covers, they never fit right. I have a friend who does upholstery work from her house, but she's in SedroWoolley - quite a ways from Auburn.....

Yeah, I was surprised. The 409 was great, and the shout was excellent. I'm not sure what exactly did the best, but I do know that my seats are nice and clean now. I used a whole bottle of each, but I think it was worth it, as you can see here:DSC00248.JPG

They both are nice and white now, only problem is, I think I scrubbed so hard I created a hole in the left side... uh oh.

Yeah that pattern is crazy isn't it; there is an abandoned wagon near me that has the same kind, I was kinda stunned the first time I saw it.

Question: Did Subaru ever do all vinyl seats?

My wagons front seats had been redone a year before I got it, but got slightly soiled sometime between then and when I got it. I think if I redo them, I'm gonna go all vinyl just for ease of cleaning.

Yeah that pattern is crazy isn't it; there is an abandoned wagon near me that has the same kind, I was kinda stunned the first time I saw it.

Question: Did Subaru ever do all vinyl seats?

My wagons front seats had been redone a year before I got it, but got slightly soiled sometime between then and when I got it. I think if I redo them, I'm gonna go all vinyl just for ease of cleaning.

So, that plaid is FACTORY???? Woah. Weird.

I've never seen a Soob with all vinyl seats, and wouldn't want to own one. I had a couple MustangII hatchbacks when I was a teen, and they had vinyl seats. HATED them - they got HOT in the summer and burned your legs if you wore shorts - plus, your legs stick to them if you wear shorts too. I'll stick to seat covers that I can wash personally :)

I don't think that there are any factory vinal seats in soobs, much less would I want them. I've been in cars before where, like Karin said, you sat down, and they burned your legs. Also, on warm days, you get a CRAZY amount of butt/lower back sweat when you have to sit on them for any period of time. So there are ups and downs of all vinal. My thought would be just to clean your seats every once in a while...