Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boost Controller

I was interested in getting a Boost Controller for my 89 GL10 as I am finding that my boost is kicking in many times just before shift and I don't feel that it is kicking in soon enough unless I really hit the gas. I guess first question, is the Boost Controller worth the purchase? I am making trips in the extreme heat this summer and as well as having the Boost kick in sooner, it would also be nice to retard the boost with consideration about engine heat in the summer. If it is a good purchase, is there a brand that you all recommend. I was looking at qboost.com

Simon

Hey Simon I myself wouldn't mess with the boost untill the fall when it's cold, yeah you could turn it down but I don't think many boost controllers will go lower than the stock 7-9 psi. For the money I'd have my rad flushed, hoses all checked and some good oil in. If you still are worried that it's getting to hot reduce the timing by a couple of degrees. As far as when the turbo kicks in rpm wise do you have a stock exhaust? Those old cats can cause alot of havoc with excessive exhaust backpressure.

I installed a Saab 900 Intercooler and noticed my engine temp dropped a notch on the gauge. I am still running stock boost and have a Manual Boost Controller I bought off ebay (for like $12 shipped), but im not going to install the boost controller until I put a scoop to cool the Intercooler.

-Brian

I believe the exaust we put in was for an XT. It's not stock but a dual tailpipe. I used to have a straight pipe but it was too noisy. I'm not sure about the cat though. I think that is stock. Speaking of oil, I noticed that K&N makes a oil filter (I think). What are the benefits over the stock filters?

thx in advance,

Simon

Hey Simon I myself wouldn't mess with the boost untill the fall when it's cold, yeah you could turn it down but I don't think many boost controllers will go lower than the stock 7-9 psi. For the money I'd have my rad flushed, hoses all checked and some good oil in. If you still are worried that it's getting to hot reduce the timing by a couple of degrees. As far as when the turbo kicks in rpm wise do you have a stock exhaust? Those old cats can cause alot of havoc with excessive exhaust backpressure.

i saw a pic of a cut up K&N beside a cut up wix filter. the wix filter itself was larger, and the pleats were more uniform than the K&N unit. i hear purolator pureone filters are good too.

Hi Simon, as far as the boost controller goes, they are worth their weight in gold in my opinion. I wouldn't however, install one until you purchase and install some kind of intercooler along with a way to flow cool air across the core(top mount or front mount). Otherwise, it won't "make for a good day," if you catch my drift. But I have one installed on my '88 GL-10 and it runs great. I bought my manual boost controller off of eBay for about $15(incl. shipping) from a guy whose SN is SRPBrent. It is solid when it comes to boost, no spiking whatsoever. And it actually made the turbo spool a touch quicker than it did stock.

As for the boost kicking in too fast, these motors do it naturally because of the small turbo. The only way to counteract this is to buy and install a larger turbocharger. But as you can guess, there is a whole lot of drama involved with this process, like fueling and also more airflow. I'm not too sure what to tell you, but hopefully this will help you better determine which path to travel down.

Patrick

Thanks for the thinkings. I actually cut out the bottom of the Airbox to try to get more cool air as an alternative to an intercooler. This was at the suggestion of my Subie mech as I was originally going to get an intercooler. Is there a considerable difference between a cut airbox and an intercooler? I've seen people do both.

thx in advance,

Simon

Yes, there is a considerable difference. Since the turbo heats up your air, the cold air entering is most likely going to exit the turbo at the same heat as any ambient air temp. The intercooler cools the air before it enters the intake manifold, which is much more important. Even without a hood scoop to vent my intercooler I can tell a much larger difference than when I replaced my intake alone.

-Brian

Yah, that seems to be the general consensus. Just had an issue with rad fluid leak and heating (not that they are generally connected) so I'll jump on the intercooler wagon to avoid more heating issues. Seems that the Saab 900 seems to be a popular choice. I'll check out the Ebay Boost Controller too. Seems like a good reliable deal.

Simon

BTW: Is it my imagination or is 1st gear pretty low? Maybe it's just me.

Hi Simon, as far as the boost controller goes, they are worth their weight in gold in my opinion. I wouldn't however, install one until you purchase and install some kind of intercooler along with a way to flow cool air across the core(top mount or front mount). Otherwise, it won't "make for a good day," if you catch my drift. But I have one installed on my '88 GL-10 and it runs great. I bought my manual boost controller off of eBay for about $15(incl. shipping) from a guy whose SN is SRPBrent. It is solid when it comes to boost, no spiking whatsoever. And it actually made the turbo spool a touch quicker than it did stock.

As for the boost kicking in too fast, these motors do it naturally because of the small turbo. The only way to counteract this is to buy and install a larger turbocharger. But as you can guess, there is a whole lot of drama involved with this process, like fueling and also more airflow. I'm not too sure what to tell you, but hopefully this will help you better determine which path to travel down.

Patrick