Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tuned turbo header lengths?

what is the tuned length of the headers for a ea82t?

i've come to the conclusion that im going to have to make a new set of headers when i swap the ea82t into the brumby but i wanna take them under the engine crossmember(a' la N/A style) (so i don't have to cut a channel in the crossmember for the header to pass through), then take it up to the 'hair dryer'.

i haven't measured whether there is enough room for the up and down pipes yet but the less i can get away with modd'ing the chasses and crossmembers, the happier the guy im getting to certify the engine swap will be.

as i'll be making the header i thought having a bash at a tuned length sounded like a good idea

anyone with TWE headers care to give some lengths and diameters?

i made NA tuned pipes, equal lenght, they improve lower end power and it seems to run much better

i worked it out so that the volume of each pipe between head and Y collector equaled the cylinder volume that feeds the pipe

1.8lt motor, 2 cyls per head, > 0.9lt per pipe @ 1& 3/4" pipe = 28" or thereabouts per pipe

I think that having the pulses consistent rather than tuned scavanging is more important to the turbo because of the steady air flow

I may be wrong but that is my opinion:drunk: