Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rough Ride: Do I need springs?

I finally have my RX running pretty well, after many hijinks with the charging system it's charging at 14+ volts steady.

No engine troubles aside from a few drops a day of Mobil 1 hitting the driveway, to be expected (mechanic who installed JDM EA82T recommended Castrol 20W50, I think I know why).

So, now it's down to the "driving" part of "runs and drives"...

Question: The car's ride on the freeway (to a lesser extent in town, but much worse on the worn-out section of I-5 in mid-Oregon) is absolutely awful. I feel every little vibration. But, the car passes the "bounce test" and doesn't roll side-to-side in corners. Does this mean I need to replace only the springs, not the struts?

(Here's a teaser shot of the left rear side panel... proper before-and-after shots of the front end bodywork I did are on the way. It sits nice and high as you can see, though the mudflaps make curb-hopping impossible :rolleyes: )

10671dsc00074-med.jpg

I am speaking from what I've read on the board, I've never rode in an RX. So, here goes: Are those struts adjustable? They might be set all the way up. Is it air suspention? I know the RX has stiffer springs, but I didn't think they're THAT much stiffer.

Every old Subaru I've rode in was a stiff ride.

*groans* well, that makes me feel better on some levels and worse on others. time for some foam rubber seat cushions under the plastic "sheepskin".

I'm gonna do a visual inspection of all these suspension bits to see if anything is obviously worn. I'll start a new thread if I find anything interesting. Thanks for your concern :lol: