Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More CAlifornia Smog Drama

Mike... I MISS MY BRAT!! hehehe, im still kicking myself for selling it, but Im glad its doing you good.

I just took the car back to get smogged and they couldnt smog it cause they say its idling too high. Idling is fluctuating between 1200-1300rpm and stock is 700rpm. The mechanic said he tried to drop the RPM but the ECU is overiding it... and it wont drop.

Any suggestions?

He didnt do an idle test, but he tested it at 2500rpm and it failed HC. Its allowed 140 and at 2578rpm its blowing 276 :(

-Brian

...I just took the car back to get smogged and they couldnt smog it cause they say its idling too high. Idling is fluctuating between 1200-1300rpm and stock is 700rpm. The mechanic said he tried to drop the RPM but the ECU is overiding it... and it wont drop.

Any suggestions? ...

The only reasons that I can think of that the ECU would/could increase idle speed is if it was in "cold start" fast idle, or it thinks that an accessory (eg AC) is loading down the engine. Either way, it should be controlled by a solenoid, and maybe the solenoid could ...um... quit working... ???

yeah, unplug all the AC connectors, there are 2 of them at the compressor.

Also, it looks by that reading the timing is too high and the engine is not fully warm... :confused: Retard the timing down to 15 and it should pass. I did that with my DL SPFI and it worked.