Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch glitch in EJ22 swap - HELP!

Hi, my name's Jeff and I'm in need of some wisdom from the experts.

I'm putting An EJ22 into my '85 XT, and got John's conversion kit for the XT6 clutch.

My problem is that the input shaft of my XT tranny is way smaller than the hole in the XT6 clutch disc. Also my shaft is 21 spline and the XT6 disc is 24 spline. Obviously this isn't going to work. I'm sure there's an answer, but I need you guys to tell me what it is. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff.

that sounds like it could be the only thing, is the 2wd shaft a different diameter?

I had the John/EJ swap kit, and it fit fine in my 80 gl wagon, and I had a N/A 5spd 4wd D/R tranny in there...

time to add 4wd!!

Thats the best idea Austin! Make it 4wd, would make it a lot better handling as well;)

Thanks guys. I figured it'd be something like that.

I guess I'll have to go with the turbo clutch, and see if John wants the flywheel back. Converting to 4wd is going a little too far for me right now. I started this project 'cause it seemed pretty easy according to the posts I've read. I didn't realize I had to have 4wd. Oh well, life is a learning experience.

Thanks a lot!

Jeff.

Thanks Barracuda. I'm going to exchange the XT6 clutch for an EA82 Turbo clutch and match it up to the flywheels and see which one it fits, John's or my original one. If it fits John's I won't have to drill the mounting holes on mine to fit the EJ shaft, so I hope you're right.

I'll post the results as soon as I get the other clutch.

As promised, here's the solution.

Indeed Subaru does make a clutch that works for me. It has a 7/8" shaft hole in the disc, with 21 splines and an outside diameter of 8 7/8" (225mm).

It is made to fit '83 - '92 Passenger cars, and '86 - '89 light trucks.

I got a Fenco Dyna-Pack part no. NU31143. It works perfectly!

The XT6 clutch that didn't fit my input shaft had a 1" shaft hole and 24 splines. It was Fenco part no. NU31144.

So there is a way to put an EJ 22 in a 2 wheel drive after all. Yipee!

Thanks for all your help guys!