Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Motor into Loyale?

Hey People:

Just curious. Has anybody put the Turbo EZ-82 into a Loyale. If so what was the difference real-world in terms of power and fuel-economy?

What was involved? Any special complexities?

Thanks,

Gareth

The EA82T was standard equipment in a lot of GL-10s and Loyales, so your best bet is probably to find one that already has one! :) Everything from coupes to sedans to wagons.

They have 113 HP as I recall, which is a nice boost indeed from the naturally aspirated EA82 (pardon the pun).

Fuel mileage is similar or maybe a little worse, depending on your driving style of course :rolleyes:

Hi:

The Wagon I have is in really good shape body wise and since I'm going back to Canada soon (Toronto) where raod salt is worshipped I won't find a comparable Soob wagon in it's age group. I talked to my mechanic he says he'll do it in a full day so at worst labour will be 4-500.00. As to the engine well probably one of those nice low mileage units from Japan.

The cost is negligable. I had a water pump & Intake manifold gasket done in NJ, then a little later timing belts and an idler wheel total cam to over $1000 USD. I could have had a less than 40000 mile engine IN my car in Toronto for less. Thats 90,000 less miles. So next major anything that goes, the motor gets swapped. Or I hang on and get a 94 Legacy sedan.

We'll see. This is a neet car. I'd like to keep it for several years.

Cheers,

Gareth

The EA82T was standard equipment in a lot of GL-10s and Loyales, so your best bet is probably to find one that already has one! :) Everything from coupes to sedans to wagons.

They have 113 HP as I recall, which is a nice boost indeed from the naturally aspirated EA82 (pardon the pun).

Fuel mileage is similar or maybe a little worse, depending on your driving style of course :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had a shop put in a JDM EA82T to replace the severely abused unit that was in my car when I bought it. Labor was about what you were quoted, plus 900 or so for the engine as I recall.

You're getting a great deal if your mechanic is switching your car from N/A to turbo though! There is a lot of work involved as I understand it... .

• 5 months later...